Shed roof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited a shed when I moved house, larger than I could afford to either buy or build and I'm keen to keep it standing. I just went in and discovered the ceiling is damp and I have a small, maybe 6" split in the felt where they guy who built it has pulled it tight on a 90deg angle at the edge. I've covered that with some sealant till I can fix it properly in the spring when its dryer but I can now see he's put a tarpaulin under the roofing felt, is this normal or recommended ? He's used tongue and groove for the roof (thats what he cladded the shed with as well which will be replaced with feather edge) its not dripping wet inside but the knots are very dark which they were not when I was doing some work in the autumn and it feels damp to the touch.
If its ok ill just patch the edges in the spring as the rest of the felt is in great condition and would certainly be easier but not at the expense of it creating a problem. Depending on who you speak to the guy wo used to live here either bodged everything or was belt and braces.

Sponsored Links
Yes the roof is fully felted. I believe the guy who built it just pulled the felt too tight on the corners which has now caused the split along the edge. I probably won't be able to get out again today to take a picture due to mobility issues but I can certainly try tomorrow. This is why im asking about the tarp under the felt, in a couple of years I won't have the health to fix it so if its a problem waiting happen I need to deal with it this year.

How old is the felt? It's probably worth replacing the lot.

Sponsored Links
Yes the roof is fully felted. I believe the guy who built it just pulled the felt too tight on the corners which has now caused the split along the edge. I probably won't be able to get out again today to take a picture due to mobility issues but I can certainly try tomorrow. This is why im asking about the tarp under the felt, in a couple of years I won't have the health to fix it so if its a problem waiting happen I need to deal with it this year.

If you want a good long term solution then ditch the felt - rubber roof or corrugated metal/box profile.

I've never put on a rubber roof, but done plenty of metal, and that has a life expectancy of 40yrs or whatever.
Good quality felt is more like 10-15 yrs if done well

If it was me I would just patch up the old felt for now then redo the roof properly in a couple of years

Thanks, yes I have looked at the rubber alternative and it looks good.
So the tarpaulin he’s put under the felt isn’t anything I need worry about then?

The Felt has more than likely torn, due tu it be tight on the edge & being a standard type Shed felt , I refelt quite a lot Of Shed Roofs and if you go for the Standard Roofing Felt you can
Normally Rip even new Felt , I’d recommend you strip it right off , check out for any damage to the Timbers , then replace with something like Wickes Super 15 year felt , you have to cut this with a Knife or heavy duty Scissors , maybe consider using a Jointing Overlap
Bitumen on the joints ( overlap them at least 200mm )

cheers

Phil

Attachments

• 8B65DE2D-3176-4973-9846-471E1D52E531.png
    8B65DE2D-3176-4973-9846-471E1D52E531.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
I have a shed roof with felt on it but would like to add some form of adhesive up under the felt between the nails using a mastic gun and nozzle. Any ideas what adhesive I can use that comes in tubes I can fit in a mastic gun?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back