Shelf Brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought these to put up a long oak shelf which will work as a breakfast bar. Brackets Link

I would have thought the long side of the bracket would go against the wall to provide the most strength, however the pre drilled holes in the bracket suggest otherwise as they are 9mm in diameter on the short side but only 6mm in the long side.

Would I be better drilling the short side to the wall as it can therefore take larger screws?

If it matters, it will be against a brick wall. What screws and wall plugs would you suggest?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes a link to the brackets would help, in anycase 6mm allows for some big adequate screws. What fixings are you proposing and what is the wall made of and how many brackets?

Would I be better drilling the short side to the wall as it can therefore take larger screws?

If it matters, it will be against a brick wall. What screws and wall plugs would you suggest?

Walls are usually more rigid/stronger than shelves, so short side to wall.

Sponsored Links
Yes a link to the brackets would help, in anycase 6mm allows for some big adequate screws. What fixings are you proposing and what is the wall made of and how many brackets?

Thanks - just edited the post to include the link to brackets and not the shelf!

I've got 3 brackets for the shelf which is 1.8 m long, 30cm wide. It's a brick wall that used to be the external wall before they added a lean to in the past.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back