Shingle my drive way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to shingle my lawn in order to park a car.

Following on my last post, I have sourced some 40mm Scalpings and some 20mm Shingle. I intend to use 10mm of Scalpings and 5mm of Shingle on top.

I dug out a section of earth today and it looks good. Being a modern build I have 150mm of 'top soil' then a really hard layer of Stoney clay, which I am failry sure the builders layed when they built the estate.

So Im going to dig out the 150mm Top soil and add the layers described above.

My questions are:

Do I need to fit any type of weed control membrane? if so can someone point me in the right direction of one please.

The edge of the shingle project is bounded by a hedge. I would like to keep the hedge, but I do not know how to fit the shingle around the hedge. I cant dig any of the soil out below the hedge (as its growing in the soil!) so the level of the ground under the hedge is too high. I am also concerned about weed control becasue I already have a lot of weeds under the hedge.

I wonder if my best bet is to remove the hedge alltogether and put a fence up.

If it helps, I can easily uproot the hedge and re-lay it.

Here are some pics...
hedge1.jpg

hedge2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I dont get it - you are going to remove 150mm of soil and replace it with 15mm of other material? Plus, thats not enough to park a car on, with or without a membrane.

im assuming youve missed some zeros off those numbers!. weeds arent a problem growing through the mot, they grow in the gravel and can be easily removed or sprayed. You can use a spun geotextile (ie terram) driveway membrane which will help to stabilise things, most decent builders merchants sell them.

As for the hedge, weed underneath it, take off some of the topsoil and carry on a good layer of the shingle under it to the edges of the block kerbs along the bounadry. That will blend it all in and help to keep dwon the weeds

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help Thermo.

Yes, Wabbitpoo I mistyped. Surley that was obvious, as it would be very difficult to lay 10mm of 40mm Scalpings!

You still dont think that 100mm of Scalpings packed down + 40 to 50 mm of Shingle is enough ?

That was the amount i go t from Paving Expert.

If not enough, how much do you think then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back