Shoot bolt stuck in upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've reviewed other solutions but mine seems different.

The UPVC window is reasonably modern as it has deep double glazing. Probably 10 years old.

I have removed handle & confirm spindle attached & working. It moves the shoot bolt at the top of window but not bottom one.

Having checked with allen key I see there is NO mushroom on side of the opener to catch and slide (at either top or bottom). There is ONLY the 2 shoot bolts.

So I'm struggling to see how I can get the window open! Any ideas please?

In worse case I'm considering using a multi tool to make a hole in the window upvc. But that seems extreme!

Sponsored Links
Remove the glass to give the opener more flex and while pushing the top of the opener outwards lever the bottom up and it'll pop open

Thanks c39 - I will give it a go. Not easy as it's 1st floor and glazed from outside.

But needs must!

Sponsored Links
Exactly as Crank says ... an unfortunate design issue of shoot bolts and actually fairly common. Once you have it free you will need a new 'gearbox ' as , at a guess , the rivets/punched metal are coming loose and allowing to much movement into the upper casing of the gearbox

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back