shoplifter defended by woke

According to the MyLondon news website, the video was recorded by Edilenny Douteo, 18, who it quoted as saying: “I went to the shop to buy some products with my friend. And I saw the lady, they were shouting at each other from the beginning. She was asking for a refund and they told her that is not possible. So she went to the shop and she told them that, if you’re not gonna get my refund, I want to get what I’m supposed to get for my money.”

The news site reported that the man depicted in the video was the shop’s owner, Sohail Sindho. He told MyLondon he and the woman got into an argument over her request for a refund, and claimed he was assaulted first.

more@theGarundia
Doesn't sound like a simple straight forward case of shoplifting does it.

Not what the headlines suggested, nor those that jumped on the bandwagon.

A fuller picture usually helps

Sponsored Links
Shoplifting/theft doesn't occur until the person has left the store.

Not defending her but I don't think it's going to be as clear cut as it initially seems
So we have some complexity:
- was it assault ?
- was it theft?
- was it a civil dispute which escalated in to public order?

falsely claiming a refund - is fraud. People do it all the time - I'm not saying that was the case.
Kicking off with violence because they wont give you a refund - is an offence

who knows..

But from a theft point of view (an either way offence) with the aggravated factor of assault we probably have valid/honest suspicion of an indictable offence. We have the basics of "citizen arrest". Sec 24A police and criminal evidence act.

There is no requirement for the good to actually be stolen. Its just good practice for security staff, to be 100% sure.

The law changed a few years ago to avoid the restriction that a citizen had no power to arrest on suspicion. Leading to citizens being sued for damages when a person got off the charge due to lack of evidence and then was able to claim damages.

What we know is that the police arrested her - so they were satisfied.

So we have some complexity:
- was it assault ?
- was it theft?
- was it a civil dispute which escalated in to public order?

falsely claiming a refund - is fraud. People do it all the time - I'm not saying that was the case.
Kicking off with violence because they wont give you a refund - is an offence

who knows..

But from a theft point of view (an either way offence) with the aggravated factor of assault we probably have valid/honest suspicion of an indictable offence. We have the basics of "citizen arrest". Sec 24A police and criminal evidence act.

There is no requirement for the good to actually be stolen. Its just good practice for security staff, to be 100% sure.

The law changed a few years ago to avoid the restriction that a citizen had no power to arrest on suspicion. Leading to citizens being sued for damages when a person got off the charge due to lack of evidence and then was able to claim damages.

What we know is that the police arrested her - so they were satisfied.
Arrested for shoplifting though ? Doesn't seem like it

Sponsored Links
doesn't really matter. You can't demand a refund, then when refused, take the goods anyway, according to your own sense of playground law.

doesn't really matter. You can't demand a refund, then when refused, take the goods anyway, according to your own sense of playground law.
We all know that.

But this isn't a simple shoplifting case is it. As far as I know she wasn't arrested for that.

Despite what the headlines and the instant reactionaries in here claimed

But Carman some of the instant reactionaries as you like to denounce them had recognized an assault had taken place, something you failed to do in your opening post.

But Carman some of the instant reactionaries as you like to denounce them had recognized an assault had taken place, something you failed to do in your opening post.
No. The reactionaries were very clear it was shoplifting.

Which it doesn't look like it was, does it

Sponsored Links
Back