Should I call an electrician?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so please forgive my ignorance!

I just tripped my lighting ring and have no idea what to do next. I just tried to hit a moth and accidently hit the lights in my kitchen resulting in a black out. Normally I would not be worried as the lights are connected to a MCB which resetting normally resolves - This time nothing changed.

I have two lighting rings and both on 5 AMP rings which are MEM MCB's. I turned off the mains power and swapped the MCB's over, but the faulty ring did not come back to life, resulting in me concluding it's not the MCB at fault - the non faulty ring worked fine on both MCB's.

SO what do I do next?

I have a power socket that died about a year ago and have done nothing with it so I could get someone to resolve both issues, but wondered if there was a simple solution I'd over looked.

Thanks all in advance

Sponsored Links
Does the MCB make a popping sound when you try to reset?
Have you tried taking the lamps out of the fitting which you hit?

I turned off the kitchen lights at the switch on the wall. I also swapped the MCB with one that works. There is no popping sound.

I am in a flat and the lighting ring is also used for the bathroom and those lights to do not work when I reset the MCB. I assume replacing all the spots in the kitchen will make no difference if the light switch is in the off position. I removed the bulb I suspect would have been affected, but can't be sure and the filament looks ok.

Thanks for the prompt response

So the MCB hadn't tripped?
It could easily be a loose connection above one of the light fittings in the kitchen. My advice is, as this is a possibility, to turn the MCB off for the effected lighting circuit as loose connections can lead to fires. It is unlikely to be a simple fault, hence it is probably worth your while calling out an electrician in the morning.

Sponsored Links
The worry is I'm away for 4 days from tomorrow. I guess I'll just have to turn that ring off and call one when I get back.

Thanks for the prompt response. Why is the ring not working when I turn off the lights at the wall? surely the other lights in the ring should work :confused:

A lighting circuit is normally wired radial, which means the supply goes from the consumer unit (CU) to 1st light, then loops to 2nd, to 3rd etc. The supply cable at the last light does not return to the CU and hence is not a ring. If there is an open circuit fault on the supply cable between CU and 1st light, it will effect 1st light and all downstream lights (2, 3, etc.)

so even though I have turned off the lights at the wall there would still be current passing through the circuit to ensure the other lights work?

So I'm assuming as the CU is in the kitchen and it's the lights in the kitchen at fault then they are early in the radial circuit.

I'll have to look into this so i can get my head around it. The fact that the bulbs could be removed and the wall switch turned off could still affect the other lights in the radial circuit doesn't make complete sense. I must have ripped a wire out of it's place some how - seems a bit odd considering I just tapped the bulb in the first place!

so it could be that I hit the light and a wire became dislodged in the ceiling rose?

I have 4 downlighters connected to a ceiling point. Is it worth me having a look (with the power off) as it may be a simple case that a wire needs reconnecting/tightening?

It could easily be this simple. Are they ceiling roses or junction boxes in the roof space?

OK, 1st thing, switch the power off at the MCB. Remove the two retaining screws from the light and let it hang down. Check with a multimeter set to volts AC there is no voltage between any of the connections in turn.

ok...if I get 0 reading is that a good or bad thing? I have turned off the MCB so I'm guessing there would be no power anyway??

0v is good. How many wires in the light?
Hopefully the connections will look something like this: terminal block
If there are only 3 blocks (L,N,E) there will most likely be a JB or similar elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back