Should I let the washing machine catch fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some of you may know my mother had some problems with an old washing machine regarding the pump a few months back, but a friend gave a second hand washing machine.

Now guess what...... a few days back this one failed to empty properly and my mother emptied the filter which was quite blocked but it did it again yesterday and the filter had very little in it. However on both occasions there was a hot smell coming from the top part of the machine and regarding this the previous owner had it when the on off switch failed. I remember seeing the joints with tape around them but dont know if soldered or anything, certainly no connector blockscrimps etc.

Could this be causing a loose wire/intermittent problem when the machine draws perhaps full load to spin and empty?

My father is not so convinced, wont listen and says I am been over the top with safety so I am in two minds whether to check the connections and join them properly or just let them smoulder and burn if it is them and say told you so after?
The machine is in a utilit room ceramic tiled floor not near anything flammable and connections within the metal machine so not much damage is likely to be done should the worst happen.

Am I right regarding what I think the problem may be?.Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
I have to say I'm a little concerned about one of your possible solutions to this problem - taped up conections & a hot smell? Although you appear to have assesed the immediate combustables in the vicinity, but could you live with "I told you so" if they burned to death? I would investigate this further - if not by yourself, get a pro to look at it, or get them a new machine!!!

Yes, I actually have some good heavy duty connector blocks which I was considering using. My father had just come home back home after drinking four pints of beer and was been sarcastic when I told him the problem and said 'well so what if it does catch fire, its not going to go off like an atom bomb is it'?

My mother has tried the machine at least twice now and its not stopped since, and has said that she has now noticed a slight smell near the machine. If I get a chance then perhaps I will join the connections properly. (assuming it actually is them)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back