Should I repair or replace my slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to check with forum members if this roof is perfectely ok or needs replacing? And whether this is welsh slate or spanish slate if I want to replace it? A lot of our neigbours have had their roofs replaced and I do have a leak which has been difficult to repair and still lets in water. I have ben quoted 2K labour to strip and rebatten and new spanish slate tiles installed with lead flashing all around. The cost of tiles and lead will be met by me

1703323229933.png

1703323813593.png

1703323863640.png

Sponsored Links
If the 'repair' is the flashband in the photo, then it is a completely pointless repair, the way it has been done.

The repair will be to put lead underneath the last course of tiles to help the water run off into the gutter and avoid entering the ceiling and causing the plaster to crack

But because the flash band has been applied OVER the upper tiles it could be running under the tape and then down the roof trusses till it reaches the bottom where it drops off and enters the wall/ceiling.
When water breaks through, and creates a damp patch, the entry point is often further away from where the evidence is.
I would get the top tape sorted first and see if anything improves.

Sponsored Links
Definitely a repair. There looks like lots of life left in those slates yet - but someone experienced will need to look and sound them out.

Your problem is finding that experience person.

Some of the tiles are cracked and some of them are powdery - So I just was not sure that a repair is the way to go

Why do you believe there is plenty of life left in the roof?

Here is a close up showing the stse of the tiles - Yes I can replace the few that are near the top and seem the worst - The others have cracks in them and are difficult to reach so cannot be inspected easily

Some of the tiles are cracked and some of them are powdery - So I just was not sure that a repair is the way to go

Why do you believe there is plenty of life left in the roof?

Here is a close up showing the stse of the tiles - Yes I can replace the few that are near the top and seem the worst - The others have cracks in them and are difficult to reach so cannot be inspected easily
To an extent, and assuming the roof tiles have some age to them, this sort of question is subjective and is also linked to how many pennies you have in the bank. I'm maybe misinterpreting your replies however you seem to be leaning more in favour of replacement?

If you have the £££ to spare and would feel more comfortable getting the roof re-tiled, bash on. However as others have suggested, you might find a repair at x times less cost will keep the roof going for another x years.

What sort of cost would a 8 square metre roof cost to do ? Access is fine and no scaffolding needed - So I guess it would be a few days max for a roofer and a labourer

Wont be suprised for people to ask for a good few K just labour to do that work but i d love to know what the approx price would be to help determine whether I replace or repair

Bear in mind a repair is a few hundred pounds so if a new roof is 2K that would be sensible to replace

I went ahead and did it. Started today.

All roof off. New battens and membrane and nearly tiled all in one day

Used copper nails for the slates and gold screws for the battens

Actually a lot quicker than I thought. Still extremely expensive for one guy and a labourer. He will finish tomorrow from the looks of it

oh my goodness. That’s why there is lift on the tiles. ****

Just how bad will it be if the top of the tile does not sit on the wood batten

I can see a bit of play if I try and lift the tiles at the moment which I am very worried about

Am I being a moaner or is this ****

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back