Should Iran stop its nuclear programme?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iran is continuing its uranium enrichment program, despite the growing international concern that it is planning to develop nuclear weapons.

What are people's views:

Should Iran be 'trusted'?

Can the problem be settled diplomatically?

What steps should be taken?

Here are some of the facts that might help you make your decision: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4031603.stm

Sponsored Links
It's a difficult situation.
iran doesn't need nuclear power as it is the worlds 4th largest oil producer.

Therefore it is only interested in joining the nuclear club.

It is unlikely that Israel will allow that to happen after recent threats from Iran.

At the last count Israel had 212 nuclear warheads - enough to destroy Iran 10 times over.

But this is where it gets tricky.

China needs oil in huge amounts for it's global domination plans.

Most of the World's oil is already earmarked for use in Western countries so China cannot afford to lose its one reliable source of oil.

If Israel/America/Britain destroy the Iranian nuclear installations this could be seen as an act of war. A war would devastate the capacity of Iran to export oil to China. China would mobilise its forces to protect its economic interests (or collapse).
This would lead to a head-on confrontation with the West.
It could be the big one. Kiss your ass goodbye time.

joe

just cos a country has oil does it mean it has to use it to produce power? this is an environmentally harmful way to produce power and using nuclear power is by far more environmentally friendly these days than oil or coal fired generation plants. So if Iran want to push the fact that they are concious about the environment then who are we to criticise them?

kendor said:
just cos a country has oil does it mean it has to use it to produce power? this is an environmentally harmful way to produce power and using nuclear power is by far more environmentally friendly these days than oil or coal fired generation plants. So if Iran want to push the fact that they are concious about the environment then who are we to criticise them?

Well said Mr Chamberlain.

Sponsored Links
Did they have nuclear capabilities during his time???

kendor said:
Did they have nuclear capabilities during his time???

Appeasement is appeasement in any time.

joe

kendor said:
So if Iran want to push the fact that they are concious about the environment then who are we to criticise them?

Well kendor, if they are allowed to carry on without supervision we won't be able to criticise them will we? We'll all be obliterated when they 'push the button' :rolleyes:

Personally I do not trust the Iranian govt. any more than I trust Tony Blair. Their track record is appalling :eek: This is a quote that was made by Iran's President Bani-Sadr after the Iranian embassy siege in London. "We did not surrender, we became victorious" I know it was in 1980 but have they since proven that they have reformed? :rolleyes:

Brightness said:
kendor said:
So if Iran want to push the fact that they are concious about the environment then who are we to criticise them?

Well kendor, if they are allowed to carry on without supervision we won't be able to criticise them will we? We'll all be obliterated when they 'push the button' :rolleyes:

Personally I do not trust the Iranian govt. any more than I trust Tony Blair. Their track record is appalling :eek: This is a quote that was made by Iran's President Bani-Sadr after the Iranian embassy siege in London. "We did not surrender, we became victorious" I know it was in 1980 but have they since proven that they have reformed? :rolleyes:
But brightness you must be privy to intelligence information as you seem to know that iran is not wanting to enrich as they say for power but for weapons only? what would you feel like if the boot was on the other foot and it was you trying to convince the world of your true intentions and no- one would listen?
the thing is there is a big step between the manufacture of uranium fuel and enriching beyond to weapons grade (U234 to U235) it becomes unstable and takes extra technology to achieve, do we know for certain if the equipment let alone the intention to enrich to this stage is evident?
are we just going to go in gun ho again before finding out the facts?
do you lean to the shoot first ask questions later side?

I don't think whether you trust the iranian government or not troubles them but if you were in charge and threatened action against them, they would!

kendor said:
But brightness you must be privy to intelligence information as you seem to know that iran is not wanting to enrich as they say for power but for weapons only? what would you feel like if the boot was on the other foot and it was you trying to convince the world of your true intentions and no- one would listen?

Don't be stupid kendor I'm not privy to such info, I just don't trust them. they have proven themselves over and over to be untrustworthy. Do you honestly think that they would trust us either?

kendor said:
are we just going to go in gun ho again before finding out the facts?

No one said we were but I really do thin that they should be supervised by weapons inspectors (not necessarily British - send in the Swiss :LOL: )

kendor said:
do you lean to the shoot first ask questions later side?

No I don't but I don't want to see either the UK or any other country blown to smithereens because the pc brigade thought they'd let Iran have a chance to play with nuclear power.....

but isn't that slightly hypocritical of us to suggest they stop when we have no intention to disarm ourselves?

They have an enemy in Israel who have nuclear capabilities so why shouldn't they have the right to defence?

Again i ask how can you be so certain that they would use any deterrent capability in an offensive way?

It would surely be suicide on a grand scale to be the first to strike.

We sit here comfortably in our homes powered by electricity and try to make desicions about others less fortunate without giving them the benefit of the doubt firsthand, as stated above the step from fuel to weapon is not easy and the western governments would be first to know of any weapon research, the necessary testing might be a little giveaway. ;)

I just feel you are being alarmist from what you read and see(words and images ;) ) by the media and if the world was so vunerable it would have been vaporised long ago ( cuba,ussr etc etc).

remember the big word here is DETTERENT.

isreal should hit iran now with a pre emtive strike
iran has said it will hit isreal if and when it gets NUKES

china wont become involved and if they did it will be political not military

there armed forces are a joke and there nuclear capability is limited they know they would be annialated so MAD comes in

if i was a jewish resident i would want iran taken out and bulldozed into the sea

in an ideal world no one should have nuclear weapons but they are the only things now stopping dictators from taking over the world

iran has had its warnings ten times over

hiroshima and nagasaki had none and there was no threat there

so take them out now either in a precision bombing ( conventional ) or

a tactical nuke ( small 10 kilo ton )

jobs a good un :LOL:

Should Iran be trusted?..is doent matter..America will soon blow it off the face of the planet as soon as it finds 'justification'...

Funny how it never found 'justification' with Israel though isnt it..

Just how many WMD where found in Iraq??? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back