Should Iran stop its nuclear programme?

whats going to make the west Superpowers go into Iran ...!!

maybe a briefcase nuke not gone off in Washington , with dead Iranians all about ...

by late Oct this year Irans being made ready for Mac ds ....

Sponsored Links
pickles said:
The simplest design is not a high tech weapon, what they will do with it is:

Get a 2 meter steel tube, a metal plate and two other vital ingredients readily available through commercial sources

Assemble it in the same way as the Americans did at Hiroshima. All that's needed are a computer to "google" the basic design, metalwork skills, eg welding, use of a lathe etc and a willingness to die from radiation poisoning putting it together

Put it in the back of a truck drive it to new York and fire it

You cannot seriously believe you can make a nuke this way do you? If you do then you are way off the mark, you can't.

pickles said:
The Americans were so confident it would work they didn't bother to test it before Hiroshima

Yeah right, course they didn't.

Eddie M said:
pickles said:
The simplest design is not a high tech weapon, what they will do with it is:

Get a 2 meter steel tube, a metal plate and two other vital ingredients readily available through commercial sources

Assemble it in the same way as the Americans did at Hiroshima. All that's needed are a computer to "google" the basic design, metalwork skills, eg welding, use of a lathe etc and a willingness to die from radiation poisoning putting it together.

Put it in the back of a truck drive it to new York and fire it

You cannot seriously believe you can make a nuke this way do you? If you do then you are way off the mark, you can't.

pickles said:
The Americans were so confident it would work they didn't bother to test it before Hiroshima

Yeah right, course they didn't.

The weapon the Americans used at Hiroshima was basically a gun with half the critical mass at one end and the other half fired down the tube into it to create a full critical mass which creates an explosive chain reaction. There is another part to the design which would require one other ingredient widely available and which would require basic electronic knowledge to configure. A terrorist weapon like this is perfectly feasible, the issue is getting hold of the Uranium, which is a dangerous unstable poisonous metal, but that is hardly an issue for the likes of Islamic terrorists willing to die A domestic electrical nuclear industry is the best source of weapons grade material, ie exactly what the Iranians are planning

The Americans did not test the Hiroshima weapon, The Trinity test in the Nevada desert was a test of the much more complex design used at Nagasaki and which is still used nowadays

If you don't believe me "google" it, the basic design of the Hiroshima weapon was on a BBC website recently. The technology for a crude weapon has been in the public domain for years.

Sponsored Links
i tend to agree with eddie on this home made nuke theory

go back in time to 1945 and imagine your there take a look around you

the tools they had and the technology was high tech then and is totally obsolete now and by obsolete i mean antiquated

anyone with help from electricians / electronics / physics engineers could make a bomb BETTER then FATBOY

the theory of an implosion to make and explosion isnt rocket science IT WAS IN 45 NOT NOW

but as MOZ said why make your own when you could buy one hands up if you think they already have a nuke or nukes but cant agree on there targets

my hands up now :cool:

if the theory to practical was that easy then every country would have had nukes soon after E=mc2 was thought of!

Even a country with massive resources like America took ages to develop weapons and several tests had to be carried out.

Those that believe they can get details off the internet to make a Proper nuke (not a dirty bomb) are deluding themselves the actual science is far too complex for individuals to knock up out of plastic bottles and sticky tape.

Even after the complex processing in order to manufacture weapons grade nuclear material the very fact that this material is now unstable means it has a very short life before reverting back to fuel grade material
this is why there is need for so many tests to make sure the correct critical mass has been achieved and that it still is at critical mass after time.

i disagree with your thoughts on nuclear bombs

the hard part is the active ingredients the easy part is the theory

you might make a bomb that is a kiloton or a 100 kiloton but make a bomb you would

Slogger said:

you might make a bomb that is a kiloton or a 100 kiloton but make a bomb you would
go on then how do you make one? ;) remember the material has to be unstable how do you go about making it unstable initially?
then how do you trigger the chain reaction from this unstable material?
If it was that easy then the governments of the world will have been held to ransom many times over by terrorist groups wouldn't you think?
as for ingredients there is reputedly a lot of ex soviet union material gone missing or unaccounted for so would you think that a nation such as Iran would be able to accuire this material relatively easily, but the processing to make the material unstable enough to use as a weapon is the hard bit.

SO YOUR SAYING that the yanks in 45 where so far ahead then that it would be impossible to duplicate what they did

come on wake up its 2006 :cool:

vote for the BNP you know it makes sence

Slogger said:
SO YOUR SAYING that the yanks in 45 where so far ahead then that it would be impossible to duplicate what they did

come on wake up its 2006 :cool:

vote for the BNP you know it makes sence
not saying impossible just improbable that any individual could manage to succeed without vast resources to build the processing plant needed to do the job.

kendor said:
Slogger said:

go on then how do you make one? ;) remember the material has to be unstable how do you go about making it unstable initially?
then how do you trigger the chain reaction from this unstable material?

All of the following was found by Googling "nuclear weapon design"

The hard part is getting the Uranium, about 16kg is required. If you are an Islamic terrorist What you need to get this is a dangerous unstable state led by a religious bigot who thinks he's a divine religious figure, just like the president of Iran. It takes an enormous amount of time and money to actually make the Uranium, ie a whole industry just like the nuclear industry Iran is starting up

Once you have your Uranium the rest is relatively easy

It is a poisonous radioactive metal, that tends to burst into flames in damp atmospheres but otherwise is a bit like lead, very heavy but easy to work by hand or machine tools. It can be transported safely in Nitrogen or Argon both of which are readily available commercial gases. It could be worked in a similar atmosphere. None of this is hard to do perhaps using breathing apparatus such as car resprayers use to avoid being poisoned by two pack paints

Remember no one cares that they are going to die so all that matters is keeping the uranium in 2 pieces each less than a critical mass (about 16kg) so that it doesn't explode and stopping it catching fire. Radiation poisoning doesn't matter to the terrorists they just have to survive long enough to make it and trigger it. A small team could do it, some to to build it, the others to place and fire it, after making the usual promotional video

Making it is straightforward. The basic design of the Hiroshima bomb was a metal tube with a metal block at one end and a firing mechanism at the other end. Half the critical mass is placed at the block end and the other half is placed at the other end with something like a small cordite charge to fire it down the barrel. Mad terrorist fires fuse, half the critical mass flies down tube and is violently combined with the other half creating a critical mass. You can enhance this with a neutron source (Beryllium or Pollonium used in X ray equipment) to speed the chain reaction up and increase the size of the explosion but basically the bomb will work without it

This is still the basic design of tactical nuclear artillery shells for battlefield use

You get an extremely big and dirty explosion, at the least you will take out a couple of city blocks, and poison huge areas with radiation. At best you will take out a small town like Hiroshima and get the radiation effect as a bonus

It is an extremely bad idea for Iran to have access to this technology and most countries in the West have their heads firmly up their asses about the risk. Whatever their faults the Israelis and Americans do not and they need all the support the can get or you will see this scenario take place in your lifetimes, the evidence is that al quada have tried to acquire this technology. Saddam Hussein openly tried to develop a weapon and considered floating it into Haifa harbour in a boat. the Israelis detroyed the reactor before he had any weapons grade material

you still need to get the Uranium 234 into a certain state (235) for it to be useful for weapons and it's that instability that is extremely complex and too hard for your average joe terrorist.

Critical Mass is what you need before triggering the chain reaction and this state is very hard to produce unless you have the equipment and knowhow

1945 ???

you do the maths

its not going to be hard at alll

i have in my garage and my m8s boat yard the tools to make anything that was made in 45 ( no nukes )

how hard would it be for a financially secure organisation like ALQUIDA to make a dirty bomb easy very easy

and with a bit of ingenuity they will make a nuke eventually

but THEY WILL SIMPLY BUY ONE FROM RUSSIA as MOZ has stated

we are doomed DOOMED i tells ya

so lets take them out now eh save time and err TIME :cool:

Slogger said:
1945 ???

you do the maths

its not going to be hard at alll

i have in my garage and my m8s boat yard the tools to make anything that was made in 45 ( no nukes )

how hard would it be for a financially secure organisation like ALQUIDA to make a dirty bomb easy very easy

and with a bit of ingenuity they will make a nuke eventually

but THEY WILL SIMPLY BUY ONE FROM RUSSIA as MOZ has stated

we are doomed DOOMED i tells ya

so lets take them out now eh save time and err TIME :cool:
dirty bomb maybe but we were talking about the real Mc Coy

Sponsored Links
Back