Shower 10mm2 cable

Bit of variation in that along with hand strength? Could be anything from barely tight to too right and you'd never know because you cannot see under the screw post tightening
Just tighten the screw give it 10 min tighten again give it a small tug, then test the rcd do a Zs test......then wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it :whistle:
 
I tighten just enough not to snap the head of your terminal screwdriver, although I've never done that :whistle:
Cor blimey mate. I used to buy screwdrivers 5 at a time so always had spares for when damage occurs.
 
Just tighten the screw give it 10 min tighten again give it a small tug, then test the rcd do a Zs test......then wake up in a cold sweat thinking about it :whistle:
What's '10 mins tighter'? Do you mean tighten loosely?
 
Ah got it. I'm a DIYer so not doing the RCD or z test I only replace a like for like (or identical power draw)
 
You’ll find that correct training and experience will allow most people to torque correctly. In the old days (when I was a lad) we were taught to tighten screw terminals by practice practice practise. Torque screwdrivers were virtually unknown. If you were taught properly and continue properly you’d be pretty near spot on. Same with engineers using a micrometer, nobody used the ratchet, hand feel got it correct. Mind you I did know one experienced bloke who reckoned that a small round bar (say 1/4” drill bit for example) varied by half a tenth of a though compared to slip guages always had and always did, those of us who did it properly decided that he had “The feel of a baby elephant” and probably just as close of he used a bloody great G-Clamp on it. LOL. I always recommend (and especially with meter tails etc) tighten waggle, tighten waggle then tighten waggle. Helps get it tight and always prefer tunnel terminals rather than two flat plates on a cylinder sort of carp used nowadays.
 
You’ll find that correct training and experience will allow most people to torque correctly.

How would anybody know?


In the old days (when I was a lad) we were taught to tighten screw terminals by practice practice practise.

Taught to tighten to what torque?


Torque screwdrivers were virtually unknown. If you were taught properly and continue properly you’d be pretty near spot on.

How would the person teaching you know whether you were spot on if he had no way of knowing if he was spot on?
 
How would anybody know?




Taught to tighten to what torque?




How would the person teaching you know whether you were spot on if he had no way of knowing if he was spot on?
Well we would hope that traditional tradesmen would have a good “feel” for such and would be (mostly) very near mark in relevant things and that was the same for a long time, later on more just got “shown” how to do things rather than get “trained” how
To do things and things got dumbed down. We see it in all sorts of trades this days and is driven by price. I come from (and I suspect you might do) come from an age now considered “artisans” as being the norm. The tech we now have to help oversee properly is often brilliant but back then it was not an option. Call me old fashioned either old fashioned values. Tim hat on and ducking down……………….
 
The only thing is I've seen "experienced artisans" remarking that when they've started using a torque screwdriver they've been amazed at how different the recommended values are from the ones they traditionally torqued to "by feel".
 
The only thing is I've seen "experienced artisans" remarking that when they've started using a torque screwdriver they've been amazed at how different the recommended values are from the ones they traditionally torqued to "by feel".
At a guess the torque values are probably too low

Rather than the hand tightness being too tight
 
The only thing is I've seen "experienced artisans" remarking that when they've started using a torque screwdriver they've been amazed at how different the recommended values are from the ones they traditionally torqued to "by feel".
I will take that point onboard, it would be good if everyone who relies on feel has a go with comparing frequently
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top