Shower advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can you give me advice on this: Project: shower replacement.

New Shower: Trident II
Q1 - Power rating says 7.8 to 8.5kW - why is there a range?
Q2 - Can anyone identify the cable size from the diameter of the sheath? - half inch approx (see photo)
Q3 - Current shower is connected to a 32A MCB on the non-RCD side. All ways on the RCD side are and cabel would not reach anyway. What is the best way to resolve this? (32A furthest right on pic)

Thank you all.

Sponsored Links
The element is most probably 7.8kW @ 230V and 8.5kW @ 240V.

Looks like 6mm².

Fit a stand-alone 30mA RCD & enclosure.

7.8kw@230v
8.5kw@240v
Either way you need a 40A circuit.
Not 100% sure on the size of the cable, is the earth stranded? I'd guess around 6mm but it could be 4mm.
Easiest solution eventually would be to change the MCB to an RCBO, but not until it has been verified that the cable is sufficient for the load.
Upgrading the shower circuit is notifiable to your LABC under part p.

Might as well say this is notifiable.

You should really uprate the MCB too, but then you should check the cable is up to it.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks,

So - use a stand-alone RCD - 40A+, connected to a 40A MCB.
Cable-run is only short through non-insulating material <5m. So, if it's 6mm, should be OK.

...what is the d'oh refernce?

Just a reference to 123 posting the same as me & then me posting stuff after that he already included in his post.... ;)

As 123 says, you could use an RCBO instead.

Is the shower cable trunked?

LOL - oh.

NO - the cupboard containing the CU is directly below the bathroom. Th CU is at ceiling height in the cupboard. Cable goes up into floor then is plastered into wall in airing cupbord and makes a 6-inch apearance before going through wall into shower. No markings are visable unfortunately.
thanx

Just a reference to 123 posting the same as me & then me posting stuff after that he already included in his post.... ;)

As 123 says, you could use an RCBO instead.

Is the shower cable trunked?

Would an RCBO kbe available for this CU do you think?

Yes. Or you can fit a stand-alone RCD. As you say, it should be rated at least to the MCB and be 30mA.

Is there an isolation switch for the shower? This should be uprated if necessary.

I think you can get the pods for those MCBs to make them into an RCBO, however if you're buying a 40A one anyway you may as well get it ready assembled.

Thank you.

Ref the cable size - i guess I can go measure the 6mm at Wicks - see if it's the same?

Given the frequency of the forum question "which cable have I got", and the same question arising in dark cupboards and lofts, and the fact that there's a special entry in the Wiki to answer the question, isn't it wonderful that all T&E sheaths are the same shade of grey?

Should the industry go one step further, and make the insulation colour for ALL conductors the same colour - perhaps, um, grey?

Given the frequency of the forum question "which cable have I got", and the same question arising in dark cupboards and lofts, and the fact that there's a special entry in the Wiki to answer the question, isn't it wonderful that all T&E sheaths are the same shade of grey?

Should the industry go one step further, and make the insulation colour for ALL conductors the same colour - perhaps, um, grey?

Go away :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back