shower fitting ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i now nothing about electrics :?:

i have put a elec shower in. !!
right i used to have a heater in the bathroom so i connected to this wire (30amp), as it kept on blowing a normal 13 amp plug.
and now it has melted the plastic connection in the shower
what am i doing wrong

Sponsored Links
:eek: I presume this is a wind-up?

If not, for your own safety please get an electrician!

Do not use your shower, do not use your heater, turn it all off at the shower isolator and get an electrician.

You could have killed yourself or family!

As suggested earlier this is so bad it has to be a wind up?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter. A shower is probably the heaviest load in a house and needs a dedicated supply suitable for the power rating, RCD protection and 100's of other things. As you said yourself you know nothing about electrics and so installing an electric shower is totally beyond your capabilities.

pistonpat wrote:
what am i doing wrong

Spark1 writes :
what are you doing right ?

Did you really put a 13A plug top onto your shower feed?

What you have done is dangerous and illegal.

You need to stop RIGHT NOW and get an electrician to sort out the mess you've made of it.

What you have done is dangerous and illegal.

You need to stop RIGHT NOW and get an electrician to sort out the mess you've made of it.

hi BAS. would this be the right way for myself. I have to replace broken shower. New one is 7.5kw so draws 32.6amp. Old Wylex board with plug in MCBs. Shower currently runs unprotected from 32amp mcb with cable size maybe not 10mm (how can i be sure of size). So i need to protect my new shower so will get plug in 40amp mcb for old board then from that with 10mm to little shower board with 40amp RCD then 10mm to new shower (with new cable if not 10mm already). hows does that sound? then get sparky in to make sure it is all ok and give me a ticket. Will not turn anything on til get the all clear. oh and need to fit pull cord along the way

atm .

You cannot do what you suggest - it would be illegal . PLEASE read the sections on DIY and the Law and Part P in the wiki before you go any further.

I'll let others tell you why you probably can't do this from your old Wylex CU! :)

atm .

You cannot do what you suggest - it would be illegal . PLEASE read the sections on DIY and the Law and Part P in the wiki before you go any further.

I'll let others tell you why you probably can't do this from your old Wylex CU! :)

thanks davelx. so the old board is the problem not my theory on the work though? ie if i got a spark in would they do it a similar way?

Old Wylex board with plug in MCBs. Shower currently runs unprotected from 32amp mcb.
Hi atm.

Firstly you must be sure of the cable size. A good idea is to look at the cable and see if there is any writing printed on it. If it is 6mm² t+e then it would be fine on with a 7.5kW shower (you may be able to have up to 9.5kW@240v if the cable is clipped direct/in free air and does not go through any insulation along its route).

Unfortunately though your problem may lie with your Wylex board. The standard wooden back boards were limited to 60A maximum (I think) and as a result can not have a 40A fuse used in any of the ways.
then get sparky in to make sure it is all ok and give me a ticket. Will not turn anything on til get the all clear. oh and need to fit pull cord along the way
Also you must make sure that you follow the MI of the new shower. These will probably stipulate the use of an RCD which will then move the work into the notifiable area. A sparky cannot sign off the work once you have done it. the only people who can sign off your work are the LABC and you would have to notify them before starting the work.

Even changing the fuse size in the circuit becomes notifiable work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back