Shower pull cord switch in zone 3?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come across a batch of flats each with an electric shower unit supplied from a pull cord switch that can be reached by a person taking a shower.

In other words, the switch, not just the pull cord, can be touched while showering - it's positioned next to the plane of the door frame.

Is this:

(a) wrong;
(b) unsafe;
(c) illegal.

:?:

Sponsored Links
In theory, Z3 is OK. But you have to take environment into account when siting electrical equipment.

Do you think the switch is suited to its environment?

Just reread your post.

Is the switch bordering the edge of the bath/tray and higher than 2.25m - the whole switch body?

If so, that is Z3.

securespark said:
In theory, Z3 is OK. But you have to take environment into account when siting electrical equipment.

Do you think the switch is suited to its environment?
Nope - if the shower head decided to spray water upwards, which they're capable of doing, then water would douse the switch[plate].

Is the switch bordering the edge of the bath/tray and higher than 2.25m - the whole switch body?
The switch body does border the edge of the tray, and is less than 2.25m, measuring from the soles of the feet of someone standing in the tray.

AFAICT, The height is measured from the floor, not the base of the tub/tray.

If you measure from the floor, is the entire switch body above the 2.25m mark?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the measurement is from the floor. The main point though is that the accessory should be suitable for where it is located, if there is a risk of it being sprayed with water then imo it should either be a waterproof fitting or located elsewhere.

Hmm.

I know I can't comfortably reach 2.25m, but I know that I could reach the switch while keeping feet flat on the floor.

Seems highly inadvisable to me, given that other flats in the same development have got the switch further away.

If it is below 2.25m and within 0.6m of the edge of the base of the shower then it will be in zone 2. A shower isolator switch is a no-no in zone 2.

Thanks guys.

A supplementary question: is a check on the suitable placement of this isolator be included in the work done for a PIR?

Thanks guys.

A supplementary question: is a check on the suitable placement of this isolator be included in the work done for a PIR?

Yes, on the schedule of inspections sheet there is a box for 'Selection of equipment and protective measures appropriate to external influences' which would cover the general "Can it withstand the conditions here?", but if it actually is in zone 2 (when it should be in zone 3 or beyond) 'Particular protective measures for special installations
and locations' is what it would come under, as the appropiate reg is in the bathroom section of the special installations and locations chapter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back