shower pump needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler in the kitchen and a cold water tank in the loft, with a water heater in airing cupboard.

What type of shower will be most suitable in this set up?

Power shower?
Electric shower?
Standard mains fed shower?

cheers

Sponsored Links
It is vented system. You can't have a mains shower or electric shower on that set up.

Shower pump is the only option from your list.

Probably a mixer shower (concealed, exposed or bar) with a pump.
Of your suggestions:
1. A power shower is closest to a mixer shower with pump.
2. An electric shower would work, but you would need to have some heavy duty wiring and a residual current device installed.
3. You have low pressure hot water, but high(er) pressure mains, so you would have difficulty running a mixer shower from different pressures.
To give you a proper answer need to know:
A. What type of boiler. Probably not combi, although it could be.
B. Assuming water heater in airing cupboard means hot water cylinder with immersion heater, then can the cylinder also be heated by the boiler?
C. What type of hot water cylinder? Vented (inverted U pipe from top of cylinder over cold water storage cistern in loft), or unvented?
D. Is there space in the airing cupboard by base of hot water cylinder to fit a pump?
E. Distance between base of cold water storage cistern in loft and shower head when head in normal position near ceiling.

It is vented system. You can't have a mains shower or electric shower on that set up.

Shower pump is the only option from your list.

ah okay cheers.

Are they pretty straight foreward to fit? Is it a case of just t'ing off the top of the hot water cylinder to provide a hot flow to pump and also tee off cold feed from storage tank also into the pump? I assume an electrician will be needed to wire in the pump?

Are the shower pumps best installed in the same area as the hot water cylinder? ie. in the airing cupboard

Sponsored Links
ah okay cheers.

Are they pretty straight foreward to fit? Is it a case of just t'ing off the top of the hot water cylinder to provide a hot flow to pump and also tee off cold feed from storage tank also into the pump? I assume an electrician will be needed to wire in the pump?

Are the shower pumps best installed in the same area as the hot water cylinder? ie. in the airing cupboard

you also need an S flange fitted to the cylinder so that pumped water is not taken from the top of the cylinder to avoid air getting in. Best fitted next to the cylinder and fed directly to the shower

cool thanks.

So effectively i need to:

1. remove fitting at top of cylinder - any tricks to avoid potentially splitting cylinder?
2. replace with s flange
3. connect new pipework from top of s flange into loft
4. run pipe from s flange into shower pump inlet
5. connect pipe from shower pump outlet to the hot water pipe supplying house?

Another question:

Will installing a pump for the shower also increase the mains hot water pressure in the downstairs kitchen hot tape for example?

You have to run separate pipes from the pump to the shower(s) so the pump only runs when showering. The rest of the hot water taps shouldbe as now. If you pump the whole hot water supply, the pump will be coming on and off for every little tap opening - pump won' t last long and you will get strange effects on the mixer taps.

You have to run separate pipes from the pump to the shower(s) so the pump only runs when showering. The rest of the hot water taps shouldbe as now. If you pump the whole hot water supply, the pump will be coming on and off for every little tap opening - pump won' t last long and you will get strange effects on the mixer taps.

so where would i take the cold feed INTO the shower pump from? And i assume i just install new pipework from pump to shower for the cold?

The hot is obviously coming from the s flange, and once again, new hot pipework to shower?

EDIT: Been researching - i understand i have to create a connection to cold water tank in the loft, and create a cold feed to pump that way.

What coupling / connector would i use to attach the pipework to the cold tank, also making sure it's sealed at the tank?

Last edited:
Best thing is upgrade the system to either unvented or combi if you can afford it.

next best is fit a whole house pump Stuart turner monsoon and fit it so all the hots are pumped and all the colds.
You’ll then be better off all around the house.
the hot and cold are in the airing so just 4 elbow bends and you can be done
Then fit standard bar shower.

A lot of info is needed.
  • Is the boiler old?
  • Is there a good mains water pressure/flow?
  • Is the cylinder old?

Just to throw another idea into the mix. Have a look at a pumped digital shower such as Aqualisa Visage or Quartz. Mira do their own versions too. The showers are more expensive but do away with need for an external shower pump and the plumbing is much easier, particularly the ceiling fed versions.

A lot of info is needed.
  • Is the boiler old?
  • Is there a good mains water pressure/flow?
  • Is the cylinder old?

very true indeed. I always look to upgrade where possible. I’d never fit a powershower don’t see the point in spending good money for one good shower may aswell pump the lot if you can
Get your moneys worth haha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back