Shower Switch has burnt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an electric shower running off a 40 amp breaker (in consumer unit) and has one of these as a shower termination switch:

149999-89241c0236fc969a20e133bdd7f7093e.jpg

This has been running for two years and this week, we noticed a burning smell and the neon is flickering. I was planning to have a replacement switch to hand and then investigate whilst I replace this.

Is this an appropriate replacement and any suggestions on what could have caused this or where I should be looking?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-ga...te/49779#product_additional_details_container

Attachments

• switch.jpeg
    switch.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,437
Sponsored Links
When you replace it, if there are signs of overheating of the cables (insulation gone hard, and/or darker in colour, the copper dull) you should cut them back past that point, because overheating may have made the copper too hard for the terminals in the new switch to maintain a good contact, and the overheating will happen all over again.

Sponsored Links
The shower is 8.5KW and yes, it was the Neutral as suggested by @crystal ball. It was heavily burnt and fortunately I had some slack in the cable to be able to cut all of the burn bit out but still connect it. Any ideas on what may have caused this?

The shower is 8.5KW and yes, it was the Neutral as suggested by @crystal ball. It was heavily burnt and fortunately I had some slack in the cable to be able to cut all of the burn bit out but still connect it. Any ideas on what may have caused this?
Normally when the terminal isn't quite tight, often the neutral as for some reason some do not tighten it as much as the Live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back