Single storey rear extension - objection

Regardless of what depth foundation are laid... surely it’s prudent for both to agree and sign a PWA?
That is actually forbidden by the Act. Notice can only be served and the Act apply if the works are explicitly covered as stated in the Act.

Sponsored Links
That is actually forbidden by the Act. Notice can only be served and the Act apply if the works are explicitly covered as stated in the Act.
Understood - let me summarise to ensure I’ve got this. If the neighbour gets the permissions approved, commences excavation work (assuming they do not breach the depth of my foundation), then no PWA is required? If they do breach the foundation, then a PWA is required but it’s already too late by then anyway?

Just trying to understand the definitions as it’s fairly clear in the Act that a PWA must be agreed if excavation work is within 3m of the adjacent property.

A PWA is only required if a neighbour dissents from a PWN. So, yes, the situation sometimes arises that works have to be suspended because foundations are not as they were thought to be, and a PWN then needs to be served.

If the builder gets down to a certain level and finds things are not as they thought, then it would be more imperative to fill the trench quickly with the concrete rather than mess about filling in forms and serving notices, and waiting for the 28 day time for a response and then waiting again while appointing up to three surveyors.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert and can appreciate you need to be aware of how to prepare for any problems, but it may be worthwhile to just sit down with your neighbour and discuss it over a cup of tea. He/She could allay many of your fears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back