SIPs Panels Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to everyone for the BEKO blocks advice - think I'll steer clear of them given their apparent inherent problems! I don't want to add to the headaches of a self build project any further!

I've been reading about SIP's panels following your tip off about them - they seem like a very good option for achieving a thermally efficient house with a much quicker build time.

With an eye to cost, can I assume that as the SIPs manufacturers all seem to offer design and drawing packages within their prices that my architectural fees should be lower?

Instead of paying for costly professional architects fees could I just get a jobbing technician to 'join the dots' and do the building regulations work?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, this is what all the SIPs suppliers lead you to believe. when they say they will produce the drawings for you what they actually mean is they need to produce some layout drawings anyway to feed into the machines to make the panels up but they'll supply you with some generic details that can be butchered by a technician, to ensure they work for your project/comply. In reality, the process works more like this:

1. Technician draws up plans for planning.
2. After planning, client instructs technician to commence building regs dwgs.
3. SIP supplier is appointed or given letter or intent by client.
4. Technician contacts SIP supplier who then ask for a set of plans and sections from the technician.
5. Techy draws up plans and sections and sends them off.
6. SIP supplier sends some generic details back to technician for inclusion in building regs package.
7. Techy then incorporates SIP details into his own drawings indicating correct thickness of panels etc and redraws half the details as SIP details are generic and not project specific. During the process he has to adjust his previously drawn up plans & sections to suit the SIP details.
8. SIP supplier uses these drawings to create their shop drawings.
9. Drawings submitted to building control.
10. Any queries relating to the SIPs are dealt with by the technician assuming he's acting as your agent and he has to then liaise with the SIP supplier.

They do save time on the build but it really is a miff that they save the technician time during drawing time. I quote exactly the same fee for a traditional verses SIP house building regs package.

In reality you do not need an architect to do building regs drawings for a new house anyway. Unless its a one man band Architect, its the technician who draws the technical stuff up in an office anyway. So whichever way you go don't use an Architect.

Thanks Freddy.

Could you give me an indication of what kind of money I can expect to be charged by a technician for producing such drawings? Also how long should the process take and wouldn't I need them to inspect the works on my behalf?

I gather that Building Control do inspect some of the works, but not everything - watching 'Builders From Hells' worries the cr*p out of me!

Should I be worried about the technician having professional insurance in case of problems or is that not required?

You've not said what it is you wish to build. However, for a standard layout 3 bed detached house without any split levels and no oddities I've just quoted about £900 for regs. For inspections if required I'd charge about £75/visit and would expect to do around 6. A new house requires insurance from the likes of NHBC or Zurich or Building Control (they have their own insurance scheme BTW) and so they'd be carrying out additional inspections. If the contract is quite onerous between the client/builder or the bank requires works to sign off stages during the construction process in order to release more funds its possible an Architect may be required. Frankly I've not got insurance, I probably ought to but in reality I consider there's not too much that can go wrong that can be blamed on me. You should be more worried about the builders insurance TBH.

ps My building regs packages are in reality tender packages, don't be fooled by thinking somethings cheap, my packages allow acaccurate tenders to be sought which means no nasty surprises and means the builder isn't scratching his head wondering exactly what to do and where. Note: you can get regs approval with a plan and some notes, a successful build this does not make! I'm cheap BTW!

edit: Regs package would take approx 2-4 weeks given the back and forth bits and bobs with the SIPs suppliers.

Sponsored Links
would you recommend that I have a contract with the builder as you mention? you said that you will visit the works - I take it that this is to make sure that they build what they are suppose to? If they dont build it as they should, how does that get dealt with? I am keen to move on this quite quickly as winter is coming (not that that matters looking outside!).
The way you describe the process it looks like builders are out to shaft people - how do I choose a builder thats going to do a good job??

If you are building a new house and deal with a main contractor then of course you need a contract, you're talking about £70,000 + or whatever! Whether you need a full JCT type contract or you get a more simple one made up is up to you. There are good and bad builders like every other profession, finding a good builder is the key to the success of your project, using a bad one could cost you twice as much in the long run. You need to ask around, friends/family etc etc, anyone you can think of. If you get a good'un you'll have a lot less sleepless nights. Go to at least 2 for a quote. You probably ought to do some reading up by the sounds of it, get yourself a copy of this or similar: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Housebuilde...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249395826&sr=1-1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back