siting a compost bin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what's the best surface to position a compost bin: concrete or soil. Some say concrete to stop vermin burrowing into it, others say soil because there is more moisture and worms can get inside. If soil is better, i was thinking about getting some rigid plastic mesh (1" thick) and putting it underneath. Anyone got any ideas?

Also, I was planning to put it out of site behind a hedge, but someone told me it should be placed where it can get losts of sun. Apparently the heat will speed up the rotting of the contents.

Sponsored Links
on soil and where it can get some sun, but not so much that it tends to dry it out. Vermin are very rarely a problem for a properly used and filled compost bin

I put several layers of chicken wire on top of each other under my bin as I did get rats in it. They love old sweet corn cobs :mad:

I'd keep it as far away from the house as possible as I got loads of fruit flies in mine.

My trouble with compost bins is I can never fill it fast enough to get good heat and fast composting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back