Size of commercial property signage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A landlord owns a ground floor shop as well as an upstairs office. The office is maybe one third of the downstairs shop space.

Both properties were vacant. Previously the downstairs shop occupied all the signage space as per the Swinton shope below in the pic. The new tenant, an accounting firm on the first floor office has taken the entire white board space in the pic below together with the space above the left door representing the 0800 412 part of the space.

Landlord said he informed the tenant that its probably illegal but tenant said he spoke to the council who said its ok. As a potential income tenant, we now have hardly any signage space compared to what was there before and the downstairs area is 3x the upstairs.

Any thoughts on what can be done about this if we were to proceed and want the original signage space back?

Swinton screenshot.jpg

Sponsored Links
Perhaps do your own checking with the council and report back to the landlord.

I was hoping for an informed opinion from someone here who might know.

The left hand door seems to be for the upstairs offics, so there is an argument that the space above the door should be allocated for that premises.

Sponsored Links
Yes I agree with that, however (and I need to post a pic of the new frontage as this is the old front signage) in addition to that board above the door they have taken the entire width of the white space above the blue board, effectively monopolising the front space by having an L-shaped area of space

I was hoping for an informed opinion from someone here who might know.
What is wrong with checking with the council and reporting your findings to the landlord ,and discussing it with the agent or any solicitor involved :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back