1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Skimmed - Very poor finish

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by Chrisev1979, 6 Apr 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chrisev1979

Chrisev1979

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Looking for some advice. I've had 2 guys skim the hall, ceiling and landing this week. My usual guy was unavailable and so I used someone from a rated website who had excellent reviews and plenty of them.

The results can be seen in the pictures. I've called the guy and he was apologetic and blamed his "apprentice" and is coming back to make good but I don't really want him to.

Any advice at this point?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to give him the opportunity to rectify the work.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. roughcaster

roughcaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What a "terrible mess",, no other words for it. You can't trust these rated websites. True, there will be some good tradesmen on it, but there will be some rubbish too. Word of mouth is ALWAYS the best.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. NickB_99

NickB_99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ditto.
    If you can be in when the remedial work is done, can always check the quality after the first ceiling/wall is skimmed, rather than wait until all hall, ceiling and landing have been redone. Can pull the plug early if it is no better.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. roughcaster

roughcaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have you paid them yet??

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Chrisev1979

Chrisev1979

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

We've agreed for him to come back next week and make good hopefully.

Yes he's been paid (it wasn't the cheapest quote either) I guess this experience really does back the word of mouth referral mentioned above as my regular plasterers finish is always impeccable.

Thanks

9. stevethespreader

stevethespreader

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Should have waited for your usual spread no way should you let him.do more work that's shocking and to blame it on his apprentice?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Chrisev1979

Chrisev1979

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The lad was booked up for 6 weeks and on this occasion I felt like taking a slight risk on someone who had extensive positive feedback. You live and learn.

11. CJRatch

CJRatch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've never been able to find a really good plasterer and I've had my whole house skimmed or boarded throughout the years by different tradesmen hoping to find a good one.

Just yesterday I had a room skimmed they've not scrim taped where the ceiling meets wall and any bits which required a little care and attention near pipes, small sections etc are rough. Not to mention the crazing cracks where its not been correctly prepped. I paid a good days rate yet it got done by midday if he head spent a full day on it the job could have been perfect. I imagine he tried to fit another job in that day. Sigh, awating his reply to revisit I'm sick of spending a good day filing and rubbing down **** plastering jobs.

Its a dying art good plastering.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local