Skimmed - Very poor finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some advice. I've had 2 guys skim the hall, ceiling and landing this week. My usual guy was unavailable and so I used someone from a rated website who had excellent reviews and plenty of them.

The results can be seen in the pictures. I've called the guy and he was apologetic and blamed his "apprentice" and is coming back to make good but I don't really want him to.

Any advice at this point?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6271.JPG
    IMG_6271.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_6272.JPG
    IMG_6272.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_6274.JPG
    IMG_6274.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_6277.JPG
    IMG_6277.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_6279.JPG
    IMG_6279.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_6280.JPG
    IMG_6280.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 568
  • IMG_6281.JPG
    IMG_6281.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 548
Sponsored Links
What a "terrible mess",, no other words for it. You can't trust these rated websites. True, there will be some good tradesmen on it, but there will be some rubbish too. Word of mouth is ALWAYS the best.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

We've agreed for him to come back next week and make good hopefully.

Yes he's been paid (it wasn't the cheapest quote either) I guess this experience really does back the word of mouth referral mentioned above as my regular plasterers finish is always impeccable.

Thanks

The lad was booked up for 6 weeks and on this occasion I felt like taking a slight risk on someone who had extensive positive feedback. You live and learn.

I've never been able to find a really good plasterer and I've had my whole house skimmed or boarded throughout the years by different tradesmen hoping to find a good one.

Just yesterday I had a room skimmed they've not scrim taped where the ceiling meets wall and any bits which required a little care and attention near pipes, small sections etc are rough. Not to mention the crazing cracks where its not been correctly prepped. I paid a good days rate yet it got done by midday if he head spent a full day on it the job could have been perfect. I imagine he tried to fit another job in that day. Sigh, awating his reply to revisit I'm sick of spending a good day filing and rubbing down **** plastering jobs.

Its a dying art good plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back