Skirting Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the skirtings and architraves in a room have been fitted immediately after the delivery. on the top edges of the skirting and at the internal corners of the mitres on the architraves, gaps are starting to appear. any ideas why this has happened and ways to fix it?? replys would be much appreciated. thanks. baff

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo baff and welcome :D :D :D

timber shrinks and expands across its width as it dries out and gets wet

in a centrally heated room its probably around 6 percent moisture

it probably came in the door around 12 to 15 percent Dependant on where it was stored

so until the moisture content settles down you will get shrinkage

in deed your architrave Dependant of how you fixed it may open up on the inner edge and close up on the top edge and may even split as it gets tighter

you will find your external mitres on your skirting will be very tight whilst the internal will open up
this is why scribes are best for internals

hi big-all. thankyou so much, you've a been a great help. i expect this wont be the last time i ask for help though :oops:

Baff said:
the skirtings and architraves in a room have been fitted immediately after the delivery. on the top edges of the skirting and at the internal corners of the mitres on the architraves, gaps are starting to appear. any ideas why this has happened and ways to fix it?? replys would be much appreciated. thanks. baff

needlotsofhelp said:
hi big-all. thankyou so much, you've a been a great help. i expect this wont be the last time i ask for help though :oops:
Here we hava a post by "Baff", then there's "needlotsofhelp" sasying thank you so much for helping. Strange :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Can only assume he/she's changed his/her name.

Anywho, assuming your skirtings are painted (or going to be painted) you can fill the gaps with decorators caulk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back