Skirting techniques.

splinter wrote:
Big All,I just read you're post and could help but notice that the last emoticon is actually gritting it's teeyh behind his smile.

Yeah - sorry All and folks...it's my first attempt at joinery/carpentry however rudimentary! A virtual beer is on it's way to you!

I guess I was doing this right all along then (though the blade wasn't hitting at 90 degree's as you mentioned - will now bear this in mind).

'Undercutting' sounds like a dodgy deal - smoke and mirrors maladjusting my joinery guys :D .

Right what to tackle next...do you think I'm now qualified to build a timber framed house ? ;)

Sponsored Links
Northbeach, you sure your not bigalls missus hoping to collect the insurance when he launches himself from the upstairs window? :LOL:

soaringjock said:
Northbeach, you sure your not bigalls missus hoping to collect the insurance when he launches himself from the upstairs window? :LOL:

raotflmho :D :D :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
I feel your pain Northbeach , scribes are easy once you've done a few (hundred). We're all lucky there are such good wood fillers on the market today.

Thanks iaith - it made sense in the end, I guess I was looking for something metaphysical within the craft.
Doesn't help that I find it hard to 'cope' with coping saws - few practices I was ok.
They all look fine now and any gaps unoticable from normal inspection (the pro's on here would find em straight away mind).
Would've been even more cosy where I to paint them with gloss, but alas I wanted a oak varnish finisn instead.
I used a wood filler recently (around gaps from the skirting on the brick fireplace - uneven - and the skirting below it). Stated mid oak on the tube but set blinkin orange!! A few coats of varnish helped however.

Personally I find scribing Torus and Ogee a waste of time.

The way I do it is to mitre all of the angles with a good circular saw.

It's quicker, easier and more accurate.

You can do a whole room in a couple of hours and you can't even see the join.

joe

splinter said:
Not a carpenter then joe 90 :LOL:

No. I renovate properties for a living though.

It's neater, quicker and it's the way everyone does it these days.

Remember that I am talking about torus or ogee, not the cheap 3" stuff that you get in new build. How do you do it?

joe

That's not "the way everyone does it these days"......

Carpenters that do it for a living scribe internal corners and mitre external corners. I would bet a fair amouint that that's how Splinter does it too....

Not those that I see on a daily basis. They all use compound mitre saws.

The Victorians would have used them too if they'd had them.

BTW, do you use Rawl Plugs these days or do you use a plugging chisel and nails?

Just wundrin'.

joe

I always scribe internal mitres ,Never mitre them in fact it is a good way of finding out how inexperianced and rough a carpenter is .If he or even you can't be arsed to do a desent job on skirting then I don't hold out much hope for the rest of the work :(

splinter said:
I always scribe internal mitres ,Never mitre them in fact it is a good way of finding out how inexperianced and rough a carpenter is .If he or even you can't be a***d to do a desent job on skirting then I don't hold out much hope for the rest of the work :(

How do you fasten them to the wall?

And what is the benefit?

If mitres are good enough for external - then they are good enough for internal.

You can do a perfect job with mitres - decent aint good enough.

joe

joe-90 said:
How do you fasten them to the wall?

Normally with a gas gun and grip-fill srews and plugs if needed

A mitre is the best and neatest joint for a external joint

Amitre is second best on a internal A scribe is amore professional and bettr way of doing a internal,As you can see the great "debate"of how to do a internal on skirting has gone on and on,on this site and others ,and to be honest you can do you're mitres the way you like.,Because if you want to argue the toss with skilled tradesmen.You are even worth a explaination ,unlike diyers asking genuine questions

But if you or you're carpenters cannot get their heads around this most basic part of carpentry,then Idon't hold out much hope for the rest of their or even you're work :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back