Slightly worrying cracks in walls, any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've spotted cracks in several rooms within my house. Property was built in 1995 and is a detached home. Cracks are visible in the plaster only and do not run through to the external brickwork. The cracks have appeared below the bedroom window, below the landing window and around the Lounge window.

Here is the crack below the landing window. It runs from the window sill to the skirting. Directly below the crack is the properties front door? I filled this crack approximately 9 months ago when we decorated and it has since returned. -

IMG_3324_zpsbbc07810.jpg

This is the crack in the bedroom, again it runs from window sill to skirting board and again has a sliding patio door below? As above, i filled this about 12 months ago whilst decorating and it has since returned -

IMG_3325_zps6871e82c.jpg

Finally, these are the lounge cracks. Initially a thought the ceiling cracks were just poorly taped plasterboard joins but now cracks have appeared on the walls around im not so sure. The cracks on the walls are either side of the windows. -

IMG_3328_zps9ab0a662.jpg

IMG_3327_zpsfe8b3905.jpg

IMG_3326_zps02afaf28.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on the cause and solution to these cracks? I'm don't think its subsidence as the cracks do not run through to the external brickwork but then im now surveyor either.

Many Thanks,

Russ

Sponsored Links
Pretty typical plaster cracks for a mid 90s property. Stress cracks caused by natural vibration and movement between materials. Long straight cracks are almost certainly following the joint between plasterboard sheets. Again, pretty typical for the time. In later houses you get less of this sort of cracking because we went over to screw fixing of boards and closer centres between fixings making the boards much stiffer and stable. Unfortunately they are notoriously difficult to repair. Well, easy to repair but the cracks just come back months later. Nothing to worry about though. Just irritating.

Unfortunately, the property isnt dry lined. The was are a more traditional undercoat & finish plaster which i was a little concerned with the cracks. :)

Sponsored Links
Is the inner skin lightweight concrete block? That has a propensity to shrinkage cracking, particularly if they used too-strong a mortar.
Usually this cracking is not serious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back