small bore pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into my house last year. Snow fell and the two main radiators in the lounge and kitchen/diner just reach heat best described as warm. They have been bled. I had the boiler replaced and this works beautifully. All the remaining radiators heat up quickly and are very hot but not the two in question. I have now had three engineers in and the general opinion is that I have small bore pipes which is a problem. A power flush has not been recommended as it may dislodge a blockage and make matters worse. Could try some sort of inhibitor but this also may make matters worse. The only other solution is to dig up my floors (solid) to try and find a blockage but this may create chaos and still be difficult to solve. Balancing the radiators has been attempted without any resolution. The engineers just leave shaking their heads. I am therefore at a loss as to what I can do as the rooms are so cold despite the temperature being as high as it can go.

Sponsored Links
What type of system do you have? Is it open vent or sealed?

What type of radiators do you have? Are they the type that have a 1/2 inch tapping at each corner?

Thankyou. Unfortunately my knowledge of CH is zero. I had a new Glowworm condensing boiler installed thinking this was the problem but it has made no difference. The radiators have probably been in place since the house was built approx 25 years ago although the radiator in the kitchen is a more recent model. I will look into a powder flush as I have never heard of this and not one of the engineers who visited suggested an alternative to the power flush. I just feel so frustrated.

Sponsored Links
I moved into my house last year. Snow fell and the two main radiators in the lounge and kitchen/diner just reach heat best described as warm. They have been bled. I had the boiler replaced and this works beautifully. All the remaining radiators heat up quickly and are very hot but not the two in question. I have now had three engineers in and the general opinion is that I have small bore pipes which is a problem. A power flush has not been recommended as it may dislodge a blockage and make matters worse. Could try some sort of inhibitor but this also may make matters worse. The only other solution is to dig up my floors (solid) to try and find a blockage but this may create chaos and still be difficult to solve. Balancing the radiators has been attempted without any resolution. The engineers just leave shaking their heads. I am therefore at a loss as to what I can do as the rooms are so cold despite the temperature being as high as it can go.

If it didn't push through when all working rads were closed and the culprit ones (one at a time) were left open, they made need repiping. Drop two new circs to rads in the corner of the room, trunk (cap) them they dont look so ugly. Or you could probably spend the same amount of money on a powdered flush and have zero results.....

I moved into my house last year. . I have now had three engineers in and the general opinion is that I have small bore pipes which is a problem. A power flush has not been recommended as it may dislodge a blockage and make matters worse. .
Microbore pipes - probably :idea: 10mm or 8mm - Small bore is 15mm to rads , and hardly ever gives problems . I know that doesn`t help :cry: but a re pipe in 15mm as suggested is probably the answer. Hope you have more luck than another poster from Kent - rang 11 plumbers and 3 turned up ! - I think I`ll come out of retirement and cross the border from Sussex - I`m not to far from Royal Tun. Wells , across the Forest :LOL:

Thankyou for the responses. I will try the suggestions made.

With the system on, have YOU tried turning off every single radiator in the house apart from the 2 problem ones and see if they get fully hot?

If not then fully open the locksheids valves with a pair of pliers? ( the one opposite the main on/off/thermostat valve) you may have to pull off the cover.

Worth a try.

Edit..

:evil:

Old post bump..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back