Small print

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you guys have small print attached to quotes ?
Example. any alteration made to installation/s by other parties, voids any guarantee on work.
If so what stuff have you got on there?

Sponsored Links
On our invoices

T&C's
Payment due within 15 days of invoice
A £35 admin fee will be applied for each reminder sent (we send 1st reminder after 1 month with the penalty added)
interest will be charged from the due date until payment received
costs incurred chasing debt will be charged
We will claim interest & compensation for debt recovery costs

In my terms and conditions failure of manufactured products installed will not be covered and any re-work to be re-quoted under seperate contract due to such failure.You have to cover your back--de.

A £35 admin fee will be applied for each reminder sent
costs incurred chasing debt will be charged
We will claim interest & compensation for debt recovery costs

Terms have to be reasonable, and you would have great difficulty enforcing these - the admin fee must reflect true costs - ie the cost of printing a letter and a stamp.

But even so, you can not charge for reminders, nor normal costs in pursuing payments - these costs should be built into your business overheads and admin. Any such terms will be unreasonable and unenforceable.

To the OP, you don't need lots of terms for straightforward work as much is already enshrined in common law and can be taken for granted. You only really need terms for specific situations, and any terms must be reasonable and necessary.

Many companies put loads of text on a quote/receipt etc and then imply that it is all part of the contract and deemed accepted by the customer, when in fact that is not the case

Sponsored Links
Besides Terms of payment and some advice for clients our quotes and order confirmation contain:
Various terms
We and our fitters will not be held responsible for damage to pipes or wiring concealed within the floors unless the location of such pipes or wiring are notified to them in writing prior to commencement of the work.
We will not remove existing skirting boards.
We will not be responsible for any changes in the character of the measured areas (between the date of the quote and the date the works begin) that may affect the performance of the contract. The customer shall indemnify us against any loss or damage that may arise as a result of any changes.
Waste-disposal of packaging materials will be discussed during the works, and removal depends on policies and practice of local authority.
Reschedule fee (if delivery and/or installing is postponed by customer later than 14 days before agreed dates):
£ 50,00 (plus VAT) per week for storage materials
£ 150,00 (plus VAT) per day for postponed labour (minimum 1 day, maximum 5 days).

Specially the one about changes to 'the character' can be an important one.

I have-
on quotes and invoices "Payment terms (unless previously agreed) are 7 days from invoice date, Any costs incurred in collecting overdue accounts will be passed to the customer, interest will also be charged on overdue accounts"
I send out one reminder if necessary, with a copy of the terms & conditions again, then I get a payment!, but I live in an area where word gets around, if someone is a bad payer, folks get to know, only been taken twice in 18 years, for a grand total of about £600, both "customers" finished up regretting messing me about, one had hell of a game getting work done after, and still does 6 years on!!

Trading standards will always be happy to give you advice on what is allowable and acceptable on terms and conditions.

also recently added after discussion with my solicitor, "if you are comissioning us to work for a limited company, please be aware that you are being viewed as guarantor for the contract, if the limited company goes into receivership or ceases trading for any reason, any accounts owing will be payable by yourself"

Would you say l'ts falr to get the seller, let's say wlndows, to slt down and go through all the small prlnt.? l do, and ask lf l understand, has we go through each clause or whatever? l do.

Would you say l'ts falr to get the seller, let's say wlndows, to slt down and go through all the small prlnt.? l do, and ask lf l understand, has we go through each clause or whatever? l do.

I thlnk that Wlndows is flne and has we can agree to slt falr down and I watch the clause he slgns and I watch.

That is pointless.

What if the seller interprets the clause wrongly? He may not have a clue about what it means, as most of these are gobeldy-gook designed by lawyers or made up phrases inserted by ill-informed people.

It is up to the buyer to read, interpret and satisfy themselves that the terms meet their needs. If need be, then they should get them interpreted by a suitable person - and not rely on the sellers interpretation

edit LOL g00k got caught in the swear filter :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back