Small sized plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small conservatory extension area on my house which has some electrics installed.

There is a double plug socket of which the left side socket has stopped working - in that a plug won't go in anymore.

From looking in places like B&Q, this double socket seems to be some odd quirky small size compaed to what is available now.

It's about 130x60mm

Is this size non existant anymore, meaning I would need a whole new socket installing if I wanted it repaired?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
Perhaps contact MK (if no help on here)?

Last edited:
I think MK stopped making that socket years ago, just replace it with a standard size one in a new pattress box

Yes - I'm guessing that this is the case.

I think there is an inline fuse thing directly above it - is it a major job to move a socket up a abit? as the existing socket is quite close to the back of the work surface, and plugs dont fit in that well as it is

Thanks both

Sponsored Links
I know new ones exist and are cheap enough, but I was hoping I could just replace the front of the socket - changing it over to a new more moderm one means a bigger job (for me that is)

changing it over to a new more moderm one means a bigger job

Surely if you could change the double socket, changing the pattress is no more than 5 minutes extra work, it'll only be a few screws. That'll be the easiest part of the job!

Surely if you could change the double socket, changing the pattress is no more than 5 minutes extra work, it'll only be a few screws. That'll be the easiest part of the job!

Hi there - I know it would be under normal conditions - but i think the socket is recessed into the plaster board so don't think a new socket would fit diretly in place - also as I mentioned, a bigger sized socket would probably mean that there wouldn't be enough space for the cable from a plug to fit in between the worksurface - Ill go and plug a plug in a photo it

Here's a wider image

I guess an electrician would have a better idea on the logistics of moving it all up - it's not even used that much, partlly because not many things can physically plug into it

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 123
Simon
If you remove the fuse, does the socket stop working (and only that socket)?

If yes then a simplish job as you can put the new socket directly above the fuse.
And route a new wire from fuse to the new socket through the top of the fuse back box and into the bottom of the Socket backbox (there will be knockouts).

Of course be careful to determine the route of the live cables in the wall going to the fuse, as you do not want to put a screw through them.

(if supply cables go up then might be best to put new socket to left or right of the fuse).

Last edited:
If you remove fuse, does the socket stop working (and only that socket)? ... If yes then a simplish job as you can put the new socket directly above the fuse.
... or beside it. Even possibly (would probably require n electrician's confirmation) instead of it.

Kind Regards, John

The big question with moving sockets is where the cable(s) come from/go to, shortening cables is easy, lengthening them can open a massive can of worms.

Sorry Johnw2 and plugwash - I was writing and then updating multiple times as I have poor internet connection here - I was not trying to 'jump ahead' of your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back