sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not long moved in and I am in the middle of decorating a bedroom and their is only one double socket in the room but on one wall their is a single socket which is the same size to a normal socket but the description is it has a small section on the left which looks like a fuse holder and a switch next to it, I was wondering if this can be changed to a double socket, it has 2.5 wiring into it but am not sure if it is live, the property is approx 1965 the wiring has been done but not the sockets, any ideas what this is or if I can renew it

Sponsored Links
This is a fused connection unit or FCU.

You need to find out if it controls anything first.

With the power off, there will be wiring feeding the supply terminals. There may or may not be outgoing cables in the load terminals.

You also need to work out which circuit at the consumer unit feeds the FCU.

Were there ever storage heaters in the property?

yes it previously had storage heaters a long time ago I have been told and the switch has been in the off position since we moved in

Sponsored Links
yes it previously had storage heaters a long time ago I have been told

Look inside, with the power off, and see if there are any wires conected to the 'load' side.

If, and I do mean IF, this is an old storage heater point some fiddling about at the consumer unit position will be required. If it's a storage heater point it won't be live all the time. Testing for voltage (safely) would be the next step, and determining which circuit it is connected to.

the consumer unit was renewed this year and all that is on the trips are sockets, lights and central heating, the fuse holder? has a small screw in the middle so I havnt had this off, their is the normal wiring going into the socket

If you unscrew the screw the holder will start to slide out, giving you access to the fuse.
If it's a fuse rated lower than 13A, something like 5 or 3A it could well be supplying a light, fan or something like that. It would also be worth isolating and seeing what is inside. Do you have a two probe voltage indicator?

the consumer unit was renewed this year and all that is on the trips are sockets, lights and central heating, the fuse holder? has a small screw in the middle so I havnt had this off, their is the normal wiring going into the socket

And any wiring going out?

Does the FCU have a small hole or outlet where a flex may have emerged out of it?

looking at it from the wall it has the 3 wires coming in and nothing going out, I know it is 2.5 cable because I put sockets in the other bedroom last week, I will unscrew the fuse holder tomorrow and see what fuse it is, I am off to work soon so will know more tomorrow

You need to find where the feed for the SFCU comes from?
Still puzzled how you know 2.5mm cable is in the SFCU? How is this related to sockets you added last week?

I have a picture but cant upload it, it has got a small round hole at the bottom left of the socket

Do you know if the wiring is live yet?

As there used to be storage heaters, is there a separate fuse box somewhere (which could be still in place, disconnected, abandoned or totally removed)?

no because when we moved in it had an old bakelite fuse box but we had this renewed to a modern consumer unit, does this picture help at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back