Smoke alarm/heat alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at fislrst fix stage. I am renovating my 2 bedroom victorian house and the downstsirs is going to be open plan. Am I required to install a smoke alarm, a heat alarm or both? If sobhow many? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's your life, so I guess it depends how much you care about that.
Thanks for that. I was hoping someone could tell me what the requirement is according to building regulations

Try starting at 'Material Alterations' in the link already posted

You need to provide more data than in your original post to get a meaningful reply

Sponsored Links
My BCO gave me the choice of installing fire doors throughout my house or a full BS 5839-1 fire alarm system. I opted for the system; to go from ONE normal door She wants to the equivalent fire door cost the same as the entire fire alarm so it was considerably cheaper. My BCO is quite a pragmatic fellow; his take on fire is that "detection is better than hindrance" - fire doors ajar are no better than normal doors and you've got a few minutes to get out before the smoke gets you (this is long before the flames are roaring down the hall) so don't skimp on this element

fit a heat alarm in the kitchen and an optical in the lounge. if its all open, two heat alarms.. fit optical or multi sensor in the bedrooms and one at the top of the stairs. link them so if one detects, they all go off

You need a smoke detector on each floor (not on the floor) in the circulation space and you will need a heat detector in the kitchen area as it's open plan. All these need to be mains powered and interlinked to what is called a Grade D, LD3 system.

You don't say if you have any other high risk areas, but if you did they would require a detector of some sort too.

For my last extension, which is fairly open, we ended up with one heat alarm in the kitchen and one smoke alarm in the circulation space on each floor. All mains powered and interlinked. My god you know about it when they go off!

My electrician did whatever was required to satisfy the regs at the time (2013)

You need a smoke detector on each floor (not on the floor) in the circulation space and you will need a heat detector in the kitchen area as it's open plan. All these need to be mains powered and interlinked to what is called a Grade D, LD3 system.

You don't say if you have any other high risk areas, but if you did they would require a detector of some sort too.
Thanks! I dont think ive got any other risk areas in the house. The bco is due on monday so ill clear it by him. One heat alarm in the kitchen and one smoke alarm in the circulation space on each floor, all mains powered and interlinked is what I had in mind as well.
I'd be grateful for advice regarding the heat and smoke alarm linked detectors. I'd like them to be reliable but also not super ugly. The only decent looking units I've seen are the Nest ones. They do a smoke alarm with a co detector but I coudnt find a heat detector on their websire. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

They're almost universally hideous - there's a real gap in the market here - especially for a product that's combined smoke and CO, dual power and interlinkable, oh and good looking

Last edited:
Check out the Fibaro smoke detectors. They have built in heat detection too and can be operated by battery or mains.

They are meant for z-wave wireless home automation systems but they work standalone too. I have one. Check it out on Amazon or better still from Vesternet.

http://www.fibaro.com/en/system-fibaro/smoke-sensor-en
Thanks. The fibro smoke detector looks the part. It has a heat detector which is great. The problem s that most smoke detectors get triggered easily in the kitchen hence why they recommend a heat only sensor in the kitchen and a smoke/heat detector in the circulation area. So can the Fibro detector be installed it in the kitchen? Can it be operated as a heat only detector

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back