Smoke alarm/heat alarm

Sponsored Links
Fibaro state that their smoke detector is designed to detect the smallest amount of smoke. On paper this detector doesn't look suitable for a kitchen. Has someone installed in a kitchen and can share their experience?

Nest got back to me to say that their detector couldn't be used in the kitchen. The Fibaro smoke detector is unlikely to be suitable either. So I'm still in the hunt for good looking heat detector. Any help will be hugely appreciated

Check out the YouTube video of the Fibaro smoke detector. It shows it as being used in the kitchen and we will be installing it there as we are also at first fix.

Whether you can isolate the smoke detection and keep it only on heat, I'm not sure as I've only played with it in my room. Perhaps with the setup of the automation system yes you can isolate it as you set the rules on how you want it to alert you but as stand alone I don't know.

I suggest you send an email to Fibaro or give them a call or even Vesternet.

Sponsored Links
Well, the web page says you can adjust the smoke sensitivity, so that might be OK - but check with Fibaro if unsure

. So I'm still in the hunt for good looking heat detector. Any help will be hugely appreciated

Personally I wouldn't bother. it's easy to get bogged down in the minutiae of the build. Whatever you put up there is going to be out of place. even that nest one which IMHO doesn't look any better just for having a pattern on it, is still just a box on the ceiling.
Honestly you won't even notice them after a while and certainly not enough to think oh god they look hideous.

it's easy to get bogged down in the minutiae of the build...

I agree..! Although you do need to keep on top of all the tradesmen! Whilst not wanting to hijack the thread my interest in the Fibaro is for an aesthetic and practical reason.

We live in an old cottage (1670) and have a large inglenook and a log burner elsewhere. You can adjust the sensitivity of the Fibaro alarm which in my mind is great - we can desensitise the alarm in the smoky rooms (not that they are that smokey) so that they don't go off when the fire is burning. I'm worried that a mains system would repeatedly be set off over the winter and we would be unable to stop it bar removing the alarm or turning the mains alarm system off !!

Am I overthinking this and getting...
...bogged down in the minutiae of the build...

?!?!

Yeah no problem if there is a practical issue, move the detector as far from the fire as possible. I would be surprised that the normal burning of an open fire would activate the alarm.
I have had clients who have spent days deciding between things which are virtually identical. I understand the excitement of a new extension or refurb for a home owner, but for example I have turned up after a weekend to find the whole wall covered in tester paint patches, which to me appear almost identical and the owners are still tearing their hair out over which one to choose and you can tell it's been stressing them all weekend and they're saying things like but that one matches the cushions we saw in Debenhams and the other is saying but that one is closer to the lamp we saw in John Lewis and I'm thinking I bet if I asked you about the what matched with what previously you couldn't remember and in a few weeks time you will be blind to the same things again.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back