Smoke alarms iaw BS5839 pt 6 2009

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does this mean I require smoke alarms in all bedrooms when it states habitable rooms? Or is that only applicable to HMO Properties?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Does this mean I require smoke alarms in all bedrooms when it states habitable rooms? Or is that only applicable to HMO Properties?
Thanks in advance.

Habitable rooms are all rooms except toilets and bathrooms.. What exactly are you having done? New build?

Assuming you have a house on a standard layout all you need are smoke detectors in hallway and landing. In some circumstances you may also need a heat detector in the kitchen. All detectors should be linked together.

Assuming you have a house on a standard layout all you need are smoke detectors in hallway and landing. In some circumstances you may also need a heat detector in the kitchen. All detectors should be linked together.

Yes the only time you need them in all rooms is if you need an LD1 Cat system which is unusual.. So where your doing a new house, open plan, over 3 storys and floor area over 200m2. Like said above, normally an LD3 system with detectors in circulation spaces on the ceilings on each floor (300mm away from walls) and located no further than 7m from habitable rooms and 3m from bedrooms is fine. Must all be mains powered on a separately fused circuit with battery back up and linked together so when one goes off they all will.

Sponsored Links
Thanks in advance.

Habitable rooms are all rooms except toilets and bathrooms.. What exactly are you having done? New build?

Converting integral garage. Replacing door with window, raising flor and insulating walls and floor. Plans show smoke alarms in lounge, new build and heat in kitchen. No specific mention regarding upstairs other than the BS quoted.

Already have hard wired in hallway and landing so just wondered about bedrooms. Seems over kill given it's only a window change?

Habitable rooms are all rooms except toilets and bathrooms.. What exactly are you having done? New build?[/quote]

Converting integral garage. Replacing door with window, raising flor and insulating walls and floor. Plans show smoke alarms in lounge, new build and heat in kitchen. No specific mention regarding upstairs other than the BS quoted.

Already have hard wired in hallway and landing so just wondered about bedrooms. Seems over kill given it's only a window change?[/quote]

In the building control I work at, we only insist on upgrades to the alarm system if the works you are doing are making the MOE worse than it was originally. By converting your garage (depends on layout) it is very unlikely that you are. So as far as im concerned the regulations don't require you to make the upgrade. Saying that, from experience most architects will include upgrades in their spec regardless of he job and I would recommend to anyway to make upgrades where possible!

So, if what you are getting at is, have you enough to warrant the work being signed off, I would say yes you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back