Smoke in space.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you hold a lit cigarette on Earth, the smoke rises smoothly and then goes all random and disperses. If you held a cigarette in space what would happen to the smoke? (Ignoring the fact it would go out due to lack of oxygen)

Sponsored Links
Somehow, some way it would get up some 'ex smokers' nose so they can bleat on about 'the dangers of smoking' :LOL: :LOL:

I think you'll find that a spacecraft is a place of work and therefore smoking is no longer permitted...

I think I heard that a flame goes out in zero gravity since there are no convection currents to take the smoke away and bring more oxygen.

Sponsored Links
ninebob said:
I think you'll find that a spacecraft is a place of work and therefore smoking is no longer permitted...
didn't know we had any british spacecraft up there? :)

It would probably exhibit pretty similar characteristics to earth-born smoke, would dissipate in a fairly uniform and unsolicited manner until molested by solar winds, gravitational influences, non-smoker originated petulent wafts etc.

Ignoring as you said the obvious lack of oxygen.

Let's wait for BOB to inject some experienced input........

Lets just say you took a balloon in space full of smoke and yea stuck a pin in it, what would happen

A. Balloon goes bang and the smoke escapes everywhere

B. Balloon stays up.

C. Balloon goes down slowly and a jet of smoke

D. Balloon goes Bang but the sphere of the smoke in the balloon floats in space.

when we say "space" do we mean zero-gravity or do we mean vacuum or do we mean both or do we mean something else?

Also, is it public space or private space? This post could have wider-ranging public disorder consequences.

Oh yes. Big Brother ain't just a TV programme people (so I've heard anyway, don't watch it meself or 'owt).

Sponsored Links
Back