Carbon Monoxide went off 3 times now in one month!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier last month (April) my heating was still on ( i run it on low flow temp of between 35° - 40 C continuously) we still had a fair amount of chill during April. So one April day it went off, causing me to get a gas safe mate to look at the boiler just in case. He could find nothing obvious, and carried out a full flue analyser test, and all readings showed normal and well below thresholds.

Luckily, my gas safe mate did not charge me anything, all seems fine, yet we could not find out why the detector went off unless it is going potty, it is (the detector) about 4 years old into service.

Then I happen to have a spare CO detector, a different make, so I placed it on the wall next to the one that went off, then last week the older one went off again, the spare one showed less than 1 ppm, the one that went off showed in excess of 500ppm!

So I reset the detector, and hoped for the best, today it went off again, showing excess of 838ppm, needless to say the detector seems terribly unreliable, as the other one still showed less than 1ppm, and the boiler had been off now for almost two weeks. No one was using any hot water at the time, or doing any cooking, after i cleared the reading, I took it down, and puffed lungs full of smoke into it, within a minute it went off indicating over 200ppm, then in another minute or two it self reset when the smoke disperses and the reading goes down to less than 100ppm. (Cigarette smoke contains a fair amount of CO in one puff!)

I then did the same to the new spare detector, just to make sure it goes off, A puff of smoke from a cigarette in the spare showed a reading of 51ppm and it did not go off, and the reading went back down to less than 1 ppm, in under a minute.

Perhaps it may be a good idea to throw away an old CO detector that goes off for no apparent reason, and no faults could be found with your boiler or its flue components. In the long term it would be cheaper to replace an unreliable CO detector rather than having to keep on calling an engineer and pay him for an unnecessary (FALSE ALARM) call out charge when there could be nothing wrong with your boiler or its flue.

I can't imagine how some dubious engineer who may actually condemn your perfectly OK appliance, and seal it off as immediate danger, and you are talked into getting your old boiler replaced at a fortune.

Better still, get two CO detectors, as you cannot rely on one alone, that would work out a lot cheaper than a charge for a single call out. If there was genuine CO presence , both detectors would show a high reading, that is when you must call an Engineer to check your appliance.

If in any doubt, turn your boiler off and call an engineer for safety.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They do have a useful life limit. Usually displayed somewhere on the unit.
Mine (Honeywell) says very clearly on the front face, "Replace by March 2019".
It also has a Test/Hush button, Alarm and Status lights, with a note stating "Status Light: Green = OK, Yellow = Fault."
The Status light flashes green regularly.

What type of boiler do u have ?

room sealed /balanced flued ? fanned flued ? positive pressure fanned flued (older boilers) negative pressure fanned flued ?

open/conventional flued boiler

Boiler as at the time the CO went off it was not running, CH was off, no one using hot water either, and checked boiler was cool, only a small pilot light was on, (VCW 221GB which is a balanced flue vaillant) my wife had not been cooking anything either, so no fumes from the oven or gas burners. The first time it went off earlier in April, the boiler was on lowest heat setting i.e. 35c, no access to any air draft directly from traffic fumes. Like I said one detector reads 1ppm and this one going wrong shoots well over 999pmm, when I tried another puff of cigarette smoke, it went past 999ppm. whereas the other one only managed 41ppm on second shot of cigarette puff.

Sponsored Links
They do have a useful life limit. Usually displayed somewhere on the unit.
Mine (Honeywell) says very clearly on the front face, "Replace by March 2019".
It also has a Test/Hush button, Alarm and Status lights, with a note stating "Status Light: Green = OK, Yellow = Fault."
The Status light flashes green regularly.
This is made by Kidde, Model No 900-0260, and says it will start to chirp away 7 years after initial power up, but I am wondering if it needs replacing soon after it detects any real CO, as when subjecting it to real test with known source of CO such as cigarette smoke or coal fire, or even car exhaust. But it has not been 7 years yet, another 3 years to go still.

causing me to get a gas safe mate
What was your mate's conclusion re alarm activation,heck he is the expert and you ask here on a diy site for a second opinion.
Edit,just seen nickso's comment, do that dont buy anything else.

What was your mate's conclusion re alarm activation,heck he is the expert and you ask here on a diy site for a second opinion.
Edit,just seen nickso's comment, do that dont buy anything else.
What my point was, what would an average person do when a CO alarm goes off, since CO is colourless, odourless gas, therefore it is difficult to say if the detector simply went off for ne real reason, i.e. false alarm, or possibly reacted to something else apart from CO.

Therefore my conclusion was that in a circumstance of a false alarm, it could cost one unnecessary amount of money by calling a Gas safe Engineer, to come and check the gas boiler, fires, cookers, ovens, flues, etc etc, which may not have been necessary in the first place.

Then there is a risk of some people being taken for a ride by scrupulous engineers who may condemn a perfectly safe boiler or installation by putting fear into the owners, or tenants, or landlords that the appliance is more than 10 years old so better to replace it as it may be causing the CO to go off.

So my point was that to avoid calling gas safe engineers unnecessarily, and then possibly in a few cases being a victim of a scrupulous engineers, and therefore to have a better peace of mind, why not use two or even more CO detectors at the same spot possibly made by two different manufacturers, such that it gets rid of the credibility or reliability of one detector that was playing up and causing an unnecessary reading or false alarm, so you have a double knock system. Of course there is still a small risk that one detector may not actually be working properly and not detect any CO whilst the other one did, but what if you only had one detector and it was not actually working properly, and real CO presence would go undetected, a test button is not a true simulation of a presence of CO, the actual CO sensing element is not subjected to a real test by reacting it with a CO gas, but it is an electrical simulation test, which undermines credibility of any detector.

CO is colourless, odourless gas,
I kind of think the guy's replying here know that.

Mikefromlondon,it looks you have a budget,a low budget when it comes to your safety. hope this is not a property you rent out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of think the guy's replying here know that.

Mikefromlondon,it looks you have a budget,a low budget when it comes to your safety.
Kind of doubt that.

How much do you think I should spend on my safety ? and why don't I breath through an oxygen mask to ultimately safeguard my life? and when going out and about, do I wrap myself in bullet proof jacket and have two personal body guards armed with guns, just in case some mad man tries to stab me with a knife.

If safety was my paramount concern, I would get rid of the gas boiler and have more safer options like using immersion water heater and CH running off an electric boiler.

When you are going to go you are going to go, how much longer can you hold back death, 100 years, 110 years? we are all going to go no matter how much you spend on safety.

You really did not get the point, not everyone can afford a tank, some of us have to settle down for cheaper things, in this universe nothing is guaranteed, you could be sitting and enjoying your life one minute, and the next minute a big 100 foot wave of water swipes all energy out of your body, you wouldn't know where that tsunami wave came from, or you and your expensive carbon monoxide detector could suddenly find sunk 100 feet deep in a sink hole, how much do you want to spend to ultimately safeguard your life? Is your home covered in a Faraday cage to protect it from lightening strike? if not why not? Do you not value your life so high? I am not a tenant, if I were, my life would be far more worth saving than if I were just a home owner, that you should also know.

Last edited:
Why don't you ask this question to rules and rulers instead of barking up a wrong tree?

Sponsored Links
Back