Carbon Monoxide went off 3 times now in one month!

Utter nonsense and rubbish. You have anything constructive to add rather than making stupid remarks. in which way does your remarks help other than to fan the fire.

Sponsored Links
I'm not the one with the CO detector going off, yet ignoring it in favour of lightning strikes, tsunamis, and random knife attacks.........

So what do you imply, I spend a thousand pounds on a top quality CO detector that has the same chance of a component failure as a cheap £5.00 detector? Remember the Billion Dollar space shuttle that fell out of the sky and killed all of its astronauts, due to one single component failure. Please try and live in REAL WORLD, everyone does not earn same as perhaps you do. Further more if we all value our lives as important as the President of USA, we would all be riding in bomb proof cars, for ****s sake I haven't yet won the lotto!

Cheaper and more reliable solution would be to use let us say 4 cheap CO detectors, sure if there was real CO then it is likely at least 2 of them are certain to go off, than to rely on a single expensive CO detector.

Last edited:
There is a case on record of a fatality from Co from an electric storage heater.

Sponsored Links
So as i asked before did he check neighbouring properties

There also co data loggers .that can be set to sample the atmosphere at pre-set intervals say every 5 minutes over a 24 hr period.

these are plugged into a lap top & u will see the results of any co in a graph giving the exact co concentration & the time

they are not expensive ,used to have some & used them a few times .

So as i asked before did he check neighbouring properties
No, we did not, neighbours flue did not even come in to question as their's is along the other wall facing the garden, whereas mine faces their side wall, 4 meters gap between the two properties.

took you long enough to say your detached property , did you have to google why ;)

There is a case on record of a fatality from Co from an electric storage heater.
That won't surprise me though, elements can get red hot if some fault developed and anything spilled in them could give rise to Co as it burns out, usually the insulation is fire proof, years ago I came across someone who was into solar energy trapping, using materials like the bricks used in storage heaters and he showed us this pure white cotton like feel and colour of an insulation felt that had such a brilliant insulation property that he demonstrated using a blow torch which he wrapped a 1/2 inch thick layer of this material on his wrist and applied flames from it for well over a minute and it did not even get warm! this guy approached my boss for finance to launch his heat energy storage device, he kept using the word "Infraction" and as I am typing this I am going to leave this page and search on google, I remember this bloke he even borrowed £100.00 for a week and never saw him again.

Edit: Here is the white cotton like felt material, didn't know it is made of ceramic,
http://shop.vitcas.com/ceramic-fibre-blanket-25mm-vitcas-ceramic-insulation-197-p.asp

Last edited:
took you long enough to say your detached property , did you have to google why ;)
No it is not a detached property, nor semi, its a mid terraced but towards the rear the houses narrow down by 2 meters approx, on each side ( well actually 6 feet exactly) so my flue faces their side wall, as my boiler is situated along this rear side wall, as my kitchen is mid way, whilst they have their kitchen right at the back facing the garden, so their boiler spews fumes further down into the garden, whereas mine throws up into this open space at least 12foot wide.

I wanted to Google for that white insulation felt, which I saw years ago, it was brilliant stuff, felt very soft and felt like cotton blanket, about 26 years ago, 1991, now found out it is called a ceramic blanket, for that price I think it is well worth me getting one for experiments, or for making fire barriers.

One possible source we overlooked that just sprang to my head is that my wife light up tea light / candle about 1 meter below the area where this Co detector is mounted, I am not even sure if at the time it went off if this tea light was burning, so may be this will have to be looked into, often these tea lights burn with far too much yellow flames and lots of carbon soot. I will from now on keep an eye on this.

I am just doing an experiment now, and to expedite and to exaggerate I have brought the detector half a meter close, and see if the reading goes up or if it trips the alarm, currently showing 12ppm.

So terraced then its got nothing to do with flue positions , houses either side should be checked.
oh ffs how would anyone but a ****** not notice a tea light burning with a yellow cold flame near a CO detector. you really couldnt make it up but in this case i think you are as ou go along

So terraced then its got nothing to do with flue positions , houses either side should be checked.
oh ffs how would anyone but a ****** not notice a tea light burning with a yellow cold flame near a CO detector. you really couldnt make it up but in this case i think you are as ou go along

Rubbish! you are commenting without engaging your brain, ( I wonder if you have one!!!!) I said from the beginning, this was not even a Co issue, but a false alarm issue, you lost the plot, you just proved that you are the ****** in this scenario. I even stated clearly that I suspected it was a tea light, but it so turned out that it was not, despite placing it less than half a meter away (under the detector) it did not register any more co reading than what was already showing on it as 12ppm. Yet a plume of cigarette smoke sent it off immediately and read well over 750ppm.

You really think everyone is an idiot and you and few others are the smartest gas safe engineers on planet earth, take that delusion away ffs.

Sponsored Links
Back