So what would you do?

E

EddieM

Situation bought house with all my own money got married... paid the mortgage without help. Got divorced and got 15% of assets..... (yes kids maintenance all paid) so I have 15% Of assets of new property do I enforce next year or forget it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, explain enforce or forget. as to the sitiation, I suspect you'd have been better off getting a higher slice of the assets, and then paid mainteance on an ongoing basis.

I was lucky; I didn't have any kids, so got back what I put in, plus a bit of profit.

Sorry, explain enforce or forget. as to the sitiation, I suspect you'd have been better off getting a higher slice of the assets, and then paid mainteance on an ongoing basis.

I was lucky; I didn't have any kids, so got back what I put in, plus a bit of profit.

It's a court order. Enforce or ignore entirely my decision.

How much hassle will it cause if you enforce, and can you afford not to.

Sponsored Links
Well, I'm still none the wiser after your cryptic questions and answers, so all I can do, is wish you the best with your dilema.

It is fairly cryptic, but if money is due to you then you should take it. You never know what is around the corner, one day you may well need it.

as long as it won't impact kids. enforce judgement. If your ex can't pay, then be mindful that enforcement costs may cause your kids hardship. Alternatively if she has assets get her to sign them over.

pretty standard uk scenario. Particularly where the kids are young and the house not hugely valuable. If you want a clean break, you have to pay.

If I read the O/P correctly he got divorced some time ago and there were children involved.
He had an agreement his ex could keep the house till the children had grown up, (not necessarily have left home), and then he could claim 15% of the value of the house as his share of the financial settlement. This is the way I read his statement though I could be wrong.
However, I suspect his ex has sold the original marital home and bought a new one, (possibly with a new partner), but he is still entitled to his 15%
He is now asking if he should enforce to sale to claim his share or just forget it as the costs of enforcing may outweigh the reward.

Maybe, but in any case the cost of a failed enforcement is about £100 + vat, if she has assets and can pay, any enforcement costs are on top.

If he doesn't need the money, just get a charge on the property as a % of current value. Nice little investment then

Sponsored Links
Back