Socket behind dishwasher pt.2 - are we being had?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I posted another thread about getting a plug socket installed where we would like to put a dishwasher. There are two wires where we want the socket which i think has a set of live, neutral and earth wires in each but i cannot be sure without looking closer and i am scared to do so. People wisely responded that without any technical knowledge it might be too hazardous a job so we got a quote from a local electrician. Thing is he wanted £140 for the following:

"To install a new socket behind the d/w install RCBO and blanks at consumer unit will cost £140 parts labour and VAT"

He had explained on his visit that our fuse box had some open areas where it was a bit dangerous as we might touch live wires but when i responded and said that was much more expensive than i had envisaged and we really only wanted a socket he replied:

"I can put an RCD socket for the dishwasher for £65, this will cover me for my work and certification but I recommend you get the fuse board sorted at some point."

So now it seems we have an RCD instead of an RCBO and nothing will happen with the fuse box.

So my question is, why is there such a difference in price and is £65 a reasonable price to fit a socket? My second question is how critical is the work he mentions to have done and is £140 total a reasonable price for what looks like just putting in a few dummy switches?

My last question is do we need an RCBO or will the RCD suffice? I had to look up both but to my untrained eye I am not sure why we need either?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_145450305.jpg
    IMG_20170205_145450305.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Essentially it boils down to is £65 too much for installing a plug socket?

Worked out how to upload a photo of the space and wire.

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_145450305.jpg
    IMG_20170205_145450305.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 177
Well, IF the cables are the ring circuit and satisfactory, then all that is needed is a socket.

You do not need nor require an RCD or RCBO to be fitted for a dishwasher - although the regulations do state that all new sockets should be RCD protected. So, it could be argued that you should have one fitted.

I would say the RCBO at the consumer unit is the better option (but more work) and the blanks are a good idea.
I'm not sure where the £65 comes from but the parts will be about £35 either way so £100 inc.vat. for the socket fitting and CU work is not unreasonable.

Employ an electrician who does not need to charge vat.

Sponsored Links
Would have thought for that price he's covering himself if there's anything not quite right wit the board. The RCBO will protect the whole ring final circuit as opposed to the RCD socket just protecting the dishwasher socket. What's the other side of the wall btw?

To be honest the covering of exposed live parts in the distribution board is mandatory, not optional, as the installation is in an immediately dangerous condition otherwise.

Is there space for a D/W with those water supply and waste pipes there?

Thanks everyone for your replies. There seems to be a bit of a divergence of opinion on this one but it sounds like the RCBO and blanks are the better option i.e. his first quote but that the price is a tad high. Might be better off just getting another couple of quotes on this but you think £100 for the first job would be apt?

There is space for a dishwasher as I've already measured and the owners previous to the last had one there. This is one of the reasons that i believe that must have been the power to the old dishwasher but why did they leave wires in that state? Can't have been a socket there as you wouldn't go through the hassle of removing it only to leave the wires dangling like that but surely it must have been the power supply?

Oh and there is the neighbours kitchen the other side as this is the dividing wall between us and our neighbour (mid terrace Victorian)

CU btw

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_180827694.jpg
    IMG_20170205_180827694.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 218
So, you already have an RCD.

I can't read the labels.
Does it cover the kitchen circuit?
Or clearer picture please.

it sounds like the RCBO and blanks are the better option i.e. his first quote but that the price is a tad high.
The RCBO is certainly a better option, as you then have RCD protection for all of the kitchen sockets, which really should have been there already.

As for the price - it probably includes the additional time required to locate and fix any minor faults found on that circuit. Given the fact that the previous persons left wires hanging out of a wall, other problems are almost inevitable.

iMight be better off just getting another couple of quotes on this
Please don't. If you do, you will be wasting the time of at least 2 people, all to save a couple of quid.

If you think the £140 is expensive, get the RCD socket for £65.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back