Socket behind oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I apologise now if I am about to ask a really dumb question here but here goes...!

I have 2x 3pin sockets situated behind my oven. 1 of them is currently used for my oven, but when it was fitted the electrician couldn't just plug the oven in, they had to 'hard wire' it into the socket (have only just recently moved in).

The other socket is currently unused and I was hoping I could just plug my dishwasher into it?

I didn't have the dishwasher at the time of the oven being fitted so couldn't ask the electricians advice.

Thank you in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what you mean hard wire the oven into the socket?
If you have an oven plugged into one socket then it is not a good idea to have another high current appliance plugged into the other side of the same socket outlet.

...1 of them is currently used for my oven, but when it was fitted the electrician couldn't just plug the oven in, they had to 'hard wire' it into the socket...

several points here:

when you say "oven" do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker"?

if cooker, is it electric or gas?

if oven, is it a single oven, designed for the UK market, with a grill element inside the oven that can't be used at the same time as the oven element?

how sure are you that the person who fitted it was a qualified electrician?

Do you mean two single 13A sockets; or do you mean a double socket? you should not plug two appliances of heavy load into a double socket. For historical reasons I will not go into here, a double socket is rated at 13A total load.

If you can post a photo
(see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539
that could be very helpful

Is far as I know you just cant hardwire a oven into a socket!

Even a STD 13a oven, as this would fuse the oven at the main mcd rating, ie 32a.

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling they did it because the load exceeds 13A and the cable is stuffed into the backbox.

Awaiting reply.

Well they said they couldn't just plug it in??! Don't know if it makes a difference that it's a 'range', style oven?

It has the usual big red switch on the wall to turn it on and off.

The other switch which I'm hoping to use for the dishwasher also has a switch on the wall but it is just a white one with a red light on it.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well!

when you say "oven" do you mean "oven" or do you mean "cooker"?

if cooker, is it electric or gas?

if oven, is it a single oven, designed for the UK market, with a grill element inside the oven that can't be used at the same time as the oven element?

how sure are you that the person who fitted it was a qualified electrician?

Do you mean two single 13A sockets; or do you mean a double socket? you should not plug two appliances of heavy load into a double socket. For historical reasons I will not go into here, a double socket is rated at 13A total load.

If you can post a photo
(see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539
that could be very helpful

so would an answer :cry:

I have 2x 3pin sockets situated behind my oven.
are you sure they are actually 3-pin sockets? can you see the the 3 pin holes?

Sorry I missed the first response ( am on my phone!)

It is a freestanding cooker that has it's own socket. There is another separate single socket behind where the oven is.

The person that fitted the oven was from a local electrical company.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

so it's a cooker
p4399832_l.jpg

not an oven
p4785316_l.jpg

tell us more about these "3 pin sockets"

A electric cooker usually goes into a cooker connector, not a 3-pin socket.
A gas cooker can usually go into a socket.

[/quote]
are you sure they are actually 3-pin sockets? can you see the the 3 pin holes?[/quote]

Definitely 3 pin socket!

It depends what the two single sockets are wired into.

They maybe radials, then probably no problem.

IF it really is a 3-pin socket, then a cooker must not be wired into the back of it

photo please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back