Socket behind dishwasher pt.2 - are we being had?

Sponsored Links
At least there's a plastic door cover for the DB. It does seem odd to have cables left floating in mid air in a choc block near pipework that may get hot. If the neighbours kitchen is the other side of the wall too even more odd given that the cables are coming out of what looks a drilled hole.

Reminds me of a posh house in london we did.
We wired the kitchen and a company were coming from france to fit out the kitchen.
When we returned to second fix all the units had already been fitted and they had stripped the cables and joint there appliances on with connecter blocks

Sponsored Links
So, you already have an RCD.

I can't read the labels.
Does it cover the kitchen circuit?
Not according to the labels.

screenshot_1100.jpg

Might be better off just getting another couple of quotes
Please don't. If you do, you will be wasting the time of at least 2 people, all to save a couple of quid.

If you think the £140 is expensive, get the RCD socket for £65.
OTOH I'd be tempted to kick the first one into touch for not discussing moving the kitchen circuit to the RCD. Seems he is more interested in making his customer spend money.

RCD circuits are upstairs sockets, downstairs sockets, shower.

Main switch are smoke alarm, up lighting, down lighting, kitchen sockets, cooker.
Thanks for interpreting this for me. Apologies for the poor picture.

Reminds me of a posh house in london we did.
We wired the kitchen and a company were coming from france to fit out the kitchen.
When we returned to second fix all the units had already been fitted and they had stripped the cables and joint there appliances on with connecter blocks

So yo think they connected the DW directly to the wires? This was what I thought they'd done.

So there appears to be another divergence of opinion between ban all shed and flameport amongst others. On the one side you think the option of moving the kitchen sockets to the RCD would be a more cost effective option but Flameport you think his first option is best and not worth quibbling with.

I guess we just want what is safe and cost effective. We don't want to spend anymore than we need to but equally do not want it to be safe so is the £65 option a false economy or is it perfectly safe? I am a complete and utter novice on this.

So yo think they connected the DW directly to the wires? This was what I thought they'd done.
Quite possibly, as you say its unlikely they would take the socket when they move, sockets behind appliances, etc, would have usually become grubby after a time.
There seems to be a lot of pipework limiting the space for a socket, so possibly they never got round to fitting a socket after the pipework was fitted, possibly plugging in there dishwasher elsewhere.
Its likely a mystery you will never solve.

Ban all sheds option could become more time consuming. IF the bus bar has been cut, the engineer would have to source a bus bar, that consumer unit is an old range, although possibly ok, it may not be compatible to take a current range busbar.

Sounds like he was going to take the kitchen MCB out and fit the RCBO there, personally that option is better, an Rcd socket will be a pain behind the unit, especially if its prone to nuisance tripping also its unlikely to ever get tested as the manufacturers recomend.

In addition for a high current appliance like a dishwasher, a normal socket will likely outlive an Rcd socket which are more prone to failure than both the socket and Rcbo.
In addition an Rcbo will make the other kitchen sockets safer, though more of a pain in the unlikely event you do get a genuine fault on the kitchen circuit.

Bear in mind the Rcbo option will always be dearer.
Labour 1 is roughly the same to fit the socket whether normal or Rcd type
Plus Labour 2 to fit the Rcbo

Last edited:
Sorry i don't understand the implication, is it a dangerous or improper setup according to the rules?
I was referring to the fact that you do not have RCD protection for the kitchen circuit.
The words are misleading as RCDs are for personal protection; not circuits or appliances.

No, it's not dangerous - just less safe - in the way you are less safe in a car when only wearing one seat belt instead of two.

I would not particularly want (and do not have) an RCD on the kitchen circuit but that is not now allowed when new work is done.
I assume the installer of your consumer unit agreed with me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back