Socket into airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Adding a double socket into the airing cupboard...

Sounds simple I’m sure.

But in our airing cupboard we have no wires at all except for a small artificial heater that’s connected to a FCU.

What’s the best way of putting a double socket into the airing cupboard? There’s no other sockets nearby in adjacent rooms and the FCU seems the only likely option.

I could always spur from a ceiling rose and bring the cable down from the loft?

Could I use/share the FCU to create a double socket? If so, how would I do this?

If I used the power from the FCU, would the switch then control the double socket too as well as the heater at the same time only? I’d need the double socket to have power all the time and don’t want both the heater and socket to be powered at the same time all the time. Amateur question but just wondering how I’d use the FCU as it’s the only thing nearby.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What is the rating of the heater? And what is the rating of the circuit breaker supplying it ? Does that breaker supply anything else? What size is the input wire to the fcu?
You may be able to add a double socket on the input side of the fcu, or you may be able to add another fcu with as many sockets as you like limited to 13a total.

Why do you want a socket outlet in the hot press? Not really an advisable course of action.

I could always spur from a ceiling rose and bring the cable down from the loft?

You could, but doing stupid things is not wise.

If I used the power from the FCU, would the switch then control the double socket too as well as the heater at the same time only?

Thanks.

Yes.

I’d need the double socket to have power all the time and don’t want both the heater and socket to be powered at the same time all the time. Amateur question but just wondering how I’d use the FCU as it’s the only thing nearby.

Thanks.

The FCU is likely a spur from a ring and such a spur can only have one FCU or double socket, not both.

Best thing is to take another spur from the ring, where ever the nearest point is.

Sponsored Links
WHat will you plug into this new socket?

You could replace the FCU with a double socket. THat would be complient. (if a little silly)

It could be a redundant immersion circuit.

Until the OP answers the first reply:

What is the rating of the heater? And what is the rating of the circuit breaker supplying it ? Does that breaker supply anything else? What size is the input wire to the fcu?
You may be able to add a double socket on the input side of the fcu, or you may be able to add another fcu with as many sockets as you like limited to 13a total.

we cannot know what to advise.

A 'tubular heater', surely? i.e. There's no hot tank in this airing cupboard, so it must be heated 'artificially'?
Maybe, but I wouldn't say that there is anything "surely" about it - we need to be told the facts :)

Kind Regards, John

yes I assumed a low wattage tubular heater, possibly spurred off the ring, but let's wait and see!

yes I assumed a low wattage tubular heater, possibly spurred off the ring, but let's wait and see!
Yes, that's probably the most likely. That's certainly what I put into the old airing cupboard of my daughter's tiny cottage (using previous immersion circuit) when, to gain some space, I removed the hot water cylinder (and water storage tank, which was taking up half of a roof extension!) and had a combi installed.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the late reply, I didn’t get the notifications so assumed no one had reponded! Anyway....

Yes it’s a tubular heater. Didn’t know what to call it. The fuse in the FCU is 3A. There’s also two mains cables going into it so does that mean it’s part of the ring?

Is there any reason why I can’t convert it into a double socket and attach a plug to the heater? Although it’s a single pattress box, toolstation do a single to double adaptor.

It is part of the upstairs sockets ring on the RCD.

Think that answers your questions.

Yes it’s a tubular heater. Didn’t know what to call it. The fuse in the FCU is 3A. There’s also two mains cables going into it so does that mean it’s part of the ring?
Yes, it could mean that (particularly since you go on to say "It is part of the upstairs sockets ring on the RCD"), but it could also mean that someone had done something 'naughty' - so really ought to be checked.
Is there any reason why I can’t convert it into a double socket and attach a plug to the heater? Although it’s a single pattress box, toolstation do a single to double adaptor.
IF the FCU has been installed correctly/acceptably, then (even if it is not part of a ring) it could, indeed, be changed to a double socket - but, as above, you really ought to check exactly how it has been installed.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back