Sockets not working, need help!

JB under a floor?

Can you shuffle around under the floor (or is it a solid floor)?

Can you lift any floorboards if upstairs?

Are you confident removing the CU cover?

I'm curious as to whether there is a single cable in that breaker. Sometimes I have come across ring finals on a 20A breaker.

Sponsored Links
I guess we haven't tried a trapped insulation with marginal connection to neutral. That's if we haven't taken the wires out and put them back in yet. Also wonder exactly what the tester is showing on its display (a photo). It's pretty much narrowed down to 2 sockets if we know what order they are wired in.

JB under a floor?

Can you shuffle around under the floor (or is it a solid floor)?

Can you lift any floorboards if upstairs?

Are you confident removing the CU cover?

I'm curious as to whether there is a single cable in that breaker. Sometimes I have come across ring finals on a 20A breaker.

there is a few but they’re under the bathroom tiled floor.

I could remove the cover but dont really know what i’m doing under there.

So on the 20A its a ring not a radial from what i can gather now

I guess we haven't tried a trapped insulation with marginal connection to neutral. That's if we haven't taken the wires out and put them back in yet. Also wonder exactly what the tester is showing on its display (a photo). It's pretty much narrowed down to 2 sockets if we know what order they are wired in.

Yeah i’ve already gone round all the sockets and put the wires back in again.

when you say the 2 sockets do you mean the ones that are working? From what i can gather i’ve got 3 sockets off the ring that are working

Sponsored Links
OK. The only place the bad connection can be is on the last working socket or the first non working, as you proceed down the cable away from the CU. Or the wire between those two has been very badly eaten (right through one of the wires). That picture may help give more information.

OK. The only place the bad connection can be is on the last working socket or the first non working, as you proceed down the cable away from the CU. Or the wire between those two has been very badly eaten (right through one of the wires). That picture may help give more information.

So heres the socket tester, i’ve coloured in the lights as i’ve got a mate having a look at the electrics at the moment.
The middle light was flashing

Attachments

• 8EE5DA3D-4222-486D-BCF0-182D3FEA738E.jpeg
    8EE5DA3D-4222-486D-BCF0-182D3FEA738E.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 104
OK, that's what I assumed, though the data sheet for that device doesn't mention flashing.

If it were a ring then there would be two routes for the conductors to take, so you would need two faults.
I stick by what I said in post #20.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back