Sockets operated by light switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, hopefully I can explain this in an understandable manner.

Basically, there is no central ceiling light in the living room of our new flat, and we don't want to add one. Instead, we want to use floor lights as the main lighting source (probably something like a cheaper alternative of the Flos Arco light, so as still to provide central lighting). However, we would still like to operate the lights from a switch by the door.

So, I was wondering if regulations would permit us to have sockets wired in a way so that they were operated by a switch by the door. This is apparently fairly standard in the US (according to my brother, who's lived there for about 10 years now), and I think you sometimes see it in hotels; however, it's not the kind of thing I've even seen in a domestic scenario in the UK before.

Also, we'd ideally like two sets of circuits with two sockets on each (for flexibility).

Is this an insane plan? would it comply to regulations? would an electrician run a mile if I asked for this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Luke.
-----

Sponsored Links
Not insane at all.

You need to ensure that the sockets can only be used for the lighting, so I suggest 5a round pin plugs. And yes they are still available.

it is permitted and not unusual.

they are normally supplied from the lighting circuit (which is fused at 5 or 6 amps) and use 5A plugs with three round pins. The plugs are smaller that the usual square-pin 13A plugs.

It's perfectly OK, and increasingly done in this country too.

You don't of course, use 13A sockets - your electrician will install 2A/5A ones like these:

MKK770.JPG
MKK0771.JPG

and you have matching plugs on your floor/table lamps:

TLPT2.JPG
TLPT5.JPG

Sponsored Links
No problem. Though, as it makes sense to use 13A sockets, because that's what lamps come fitted with, it is at least a good idea (or maybe even a requirement) to engrave the sockets with a legend which points out that they are for switched lighting only, and mention a suitable load limit.

The circuit will probably be 1.5mm sq, and from a 6A mcb which will protect the circuit in case someone is daft enough ignore the labeling.

(I believe the guidance notes used to suggest 5A sockets - but that this suggestion has disappeared from recent editions)

Thanks all.

I guess the 5A socket recommendation may have been dropped from the guidance notes because all electronics come with sealed plugs these days. They probably regard it as safer for a member of the public to blow a fuse than risk re-wiring a plug.

You can use 2A sockets, no worries, providing your load does not exceed this value.

Am I the only one feeling a strong sense of deja vu? ;)

Mk used to do a fused version and may still do ,of the 5 amp plug top which takes a 20mm fuse .

I use a 5 amp plugtop with a 2amp fuse fitted, to run my stereo system, in the cupboard.
It switches on from a light switch by the bed

In the lounge I have six 2 amp sockets for table lamps
Controlled by a dimmer on the wall by the door.

Am I the only one feeling a strong sense of deja vu? ;)
Sorry if this has been asked many times before. I did do a search first, but all the results related to adding a mains socket from the lighting circuit, which isn't what I'm wanting to do.

Just out of interest, I was in B&Q the other day (Sorry BAS :oops: ) and they had a large stock of round pin plugs in 2A, 5A and 15A ratings.

Needless to say they did not have any information to assist the general public in understanding when such things might be safely used... :rolleyes:

Is the demand for them growing? or has some B&Q buyer just gone mad I wonder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back