Sockets with built in USB - can any sparkies recommend one that doesn't hum/whine!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm going to be replacing a couple of sockets in a bedroom soon and want some with built in USB ports. The current one I have is a cheap BG branded one and gives off an annoying whine/hum which I gather is quite common in cheap ones.

You only notice it when a couple of feet away, but because it's quite close to the bed, it's pretty annoying.

I had read that MK branded ones didn't hum, so I was all set to buy a couple, but then read several reviews on B&Q stating that they also hum.

Any recommendations from electricians who regularly install these?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
One issue is that different people have different ranges of hearing, so a whine may be audible to some people and inaudible to others.

Sponsored Links
they dont whine to me - mind you commensurate with my age and just a little bit more on top of that I cant claim to have noticed.
Some situations I cant hear a conversation i am supposedly in but it can get drowned out by other conversations a little farther away or other distracting noises so i might not be the best person to ask - having said that i have an aversion to USB built in charge points, sockets should be just 13A type etc , i do not like things that are always active anyway.

I had an MK one and it lasted about five weeks so I gave LAP a go and they've been fine - not so deep either.

having said that i have an aversion to USB built in charge points,
I think you can’t have enough of them. We've not long got rid of a sofa that had electric recliners and built in USB charge points. I’m still grieving the loss…

My LAP ones make a very faint hiss when charging something and a more noticeable buzz when not charging something. If I get time I'll up a video I took (seems it needs uploading to eg YouTube and a link posting) but feel free to PM me an email address if you want to hear it.

As with all these things I do wish that the in built charger was either wired to one of the socket on/off switches or had its own switch but it's just permanently active..

Dont the mk ones only switch the USB charging gubbins on when you plug a cable in?
Only the euromodule version with shutters, turns off the supply.
1699952986170.png

I've had one for about 7 years, perfect for my needs and silent.
It was pricey at the time and it may be discontinued.

...although playing around with euromodules could easily give you a switched supply to a USB outlet, should you so wish!
I.e.
1699953230328.png+1699953313477.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back