After a recommendation, please? For a socket with terminal clamps and USB ports

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could use a 5 way wago and take two cables to the socket...
That, in itself, would not alter the fact that, strictly speaking, the socket was on a 'spur' from the ring - it would merely have (unnecessarily) doubled the CSA of the spur.

There would be absolutely no point, but if one really wanted to one could use Wagos to 'extend the ring' to include the socket (so it was no longer 'on 'a spur'), but that would require 5 Wagos (4 x 2-way and 1 x 3-way) ...

1678803623988.png

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure it's just a typo but it's 2 cores into the Wago (one from each side of the ring) and 1 to the socket. And there are 3 no. wagos; one for live, one for neutral and one for earth

Are they saying there's something wrong with it/"technically" it's a problem?
I was researching this late (this is my a disclaimer - I was pretty tired so could have missed something,
I was thinking they might be OK because they wouldn't usually pull the skin off a rice pudding :)

These:

If you cut some short (few cm) length of 2.5mm and attach it to the screw terminal on the socket and to one of the slots on the Wago, then you've effectively made the socket into something like an MK Rapid, and you might be able to find a way of doing this comfortably, electric screwdriver, whatever, while watching TV etc.. Then on the job site it's just push push push (you don't have to lift the levers on a wago to fit solid core cable, you can just push fit) - it's cost you 90p to convert the socket but..

One small note, there are non-lever wagos but they aren't rated to 32A

Yeap, there are still the faceplate screws but for the most part an electric screwdriver should be good for those (and pozi ones exist too!)
Thank you!! I really appreciate your help

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it's just a typo but it's 2 cores into the Wago (one from each side of the ring) and 1 to the socket. And there are 3 no. wagos; one for live, one for neutral and one for earth

Are they saying there's something wrong with it/"technically" it's a problem?
Sorry, yes - 2am typo. I'm going to go back and check as it was late so I might have missed something

That's an interesting one because, although I've never really thought of it before, I suppose it's technically true (as robinbanks has said, I presume you mean the two ring conductors plus one going to the socket going into a '3-way' Wago)- although I imagine that most people really think of the Wago as being an 'extension of the socket's terminal'.

However, as robinbanks has also said, it doesn't matter, since there is absolutely nothing wrong with a (one) socket being supplied via an 'unfused spur' from a ring.

Kind Regards, John
I'm embarrassed about that typo!

Thank you for your help with this!!

I was thinking to use this method for all my sockets (about 40), so I presume it wouldn't then be wise to run a spur from one of these sockets (which would be fine) - just checking :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There would be absolutely no point, but if one really wanted to one could use Wagos to 'extend the ring' to include the socket (so it was no longer 'on 'a spur'), but that would require 5 Wagos (4 x 2-way and 1 x 3-way) ...
It occurs to me that some people might argue with the way I have dealt with the CPC ('earth') in my diagram. If one really wanted to have that as a 'true ring', one would treat it the same as the L & N, and therefore use 6 x 2-way Wagos. However, as I said, I see absolutely no point in that approach in the first place!

Kind Regards, John

I've got my plan - I'm going to try out that rachet screwdriver and an electric one (I have lots of old, unused sockets I can experiment on and destroying and I'll wear goggles!! :) ) and then do as RobinBanks suggested for the more inconvenient sockets. Perfect!! Thank you so, so much everyone for your time, help and knowledge!! I very much appreciate it!!

I suppose you could use a 5 way wago and take two cables to the socket...
That wouldn't make it a ring though; it would make it an unfused spur that uses 5 mm2 cable. It also still has a spare port in the Wago

If you're panicking about a 3cm length of 2.5mm struggling to carrying 26A to the socket, I wouldn't - the current carrying capacity of a short piece of wire is considerable - have you ever looked at the size of the wire inside a 13A fuse compared to, say, the size of the core in a 50m extension reel?

Last edited:
That's an interesting one because, although I've never really thought of it before, I suppose it's technically true
Is it really a spur if it doesn't leave the confines of the socket box I wonder?

If we're splitting those hairs, surely the short length of connector strip from the live screw terminal of the socket, to the live plug contactor, and down the live pin of the plug, whereupon it meets a fuse.. That bit is also an unfused spur and.. shock (hah) there are two of them in a 2 gang! So no matter what we do, we're either double spurring off a single point of connection with the ring, or spurring off a spur..

Sublime? Ridiculous!

Is it really a spur if it doesn't leave the confines of the socket box I wonder?
Well, in terms of 'conductor paths' it obviously is still 'a spur' - but, as you go on to say ...
If we're splitting those hairs, surely the short length of connector strip from the live screw terminal of the socket, to the live plug contactor, and down the live pin of the plug, whereupon it meets a fuse.. That bit is also an unfused spur....
... which, as you imply, makes the whole discussion pretty ridiculous :)

I suppose someone could argue that, as far as 'wiring' is concerned, what happens downstream of the socket's terminal is irrelevant. If one took that view, then the conductors from, say, Wagos within the back box would still qualify as 'a spur', whereas (thankfully) the lumps of copper/brass between the socket's terminals to the plug receptacles wouldn't!

Kind Regards, John

Crikey!! You guys are having a conversation that is going well over my head!! You clearly know your stuff so I'm just gonna do what you've suggested and not worry about it :) thank you so much again!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back