After a recommendation, please? For a socket with terminal clamps and USB ports

Perhaps making up small tails with push-in Wago connectors and fitting them to the sockets in the comfort of your lap/workbench, then you can push fit the wires when you're kneeling at the socket box, rather than having to wave a cordless around..
I'm googling!!...

Sponsored Links
How about one that is still shaped like a screwdriver (black n decker did one years ago?) rather than a pistol so you can drive it on the motor til the screw is almost home then turn it with a hand feel the rest of the way?
I've got a couple of those (still working!) but I personally wouldn't even use/'trust' them on electrical accessories!

Kind Regards, John

How about one that is still shaped like a screwdriver (black n decker did one years ago?) rather than a pistol so you can drive it on the motor til the screw is almost home then turn it with a hand feel the rest of the way?
I know a fair few DIYers - I'll ask to see if I can get my hands on one to experiment :)

Re your wago suggestion - do you know of a YouTube video I could watch on this, please? I can't picture what you mean fully but it sounds awesome being able to use wagos and doing the bulk of the job sitting down with the socket on my lap!! It's the "making up small tails" bit I'm flummoxed by :)

Is it a "pigtail" if I'm googling? All Americans making these videos so far ... Need someone using an English socket...

Sponsored Links
Is it a "pigtail" if I'm googling?
It's the same concept.

Americans use that method because their sockets (receptacles) have useless terminals that can only accept a single wire.
They still consider shoving a wire directly under the head of an exposed screw to be acceptable.
Probably so the wirenut industry can continue to sell their products.

I'll give it a whirl!

I'm also researching putting wagos in instead - thank you for that suggestion!

Thank you very much, everyone!! I very much appreciate your help :)

I'll give it a whirl!

Thank you very much, everyone!! I very much appreciate your help
It's the same concept.

Americans use that method because their sockets (receptacles) have useless terminals that can only accept a single wire.
They still consider shoving a wire directly under the head of an exposed screw to be acceptable.
Probably so the wirenut industry can continue to sell their products.

That's interesting :) thank you, glad I'm looking at the right thing. On some of the forums folks are saying that feeding 3 wires in to the wago and one out to the socket is technically a spur, please can you tell me, is that right?

I've got a couple of those (still working!) but I personally wouldn't even use/'trust' them on electrical accessories!

Kind Regards, John
I was thinking they might be OK because they wouldn't usually pull the skin off a rice pudding :)
These:

If you cut some short (few cm) length of 2.5mm and attach it to the screw terminal on the socket and to one of the slots on the Wago, then you've effectively made the socket into something like an MK Rapid, and you might be able to find a way of doing this comfortably, electric screwdriver, whatever, while watching TV etc.. Then on the job site it's just push push push (you don't have to lift the levers on a wago to fit solid core cable, you can just push fit) - it's cost you 90p to convert the socket but..

One small note, there are non-lever wagos but they aren't rated to 32A

Yeap, there are still the faceplate screws but for the most part an electric screwdriver should be good for those (and pozi ones exist too!)

Last edited:
On some of the forums folks are saying that feeding 3 wires in to the wago and one out to the socket is technically a spur, please can you tell me, is that right?
I'm sure it's just a typo but it's 2 cores into the Wago (one from each side of the ring) and 1 to the socket. And there are 3 no. wagos; one for live, one for neutral and one for earth

Are they saying there's something wrong with it/"technically" it's a problem?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
.... On some of the forums folks are saying that feeding 3 wires in to the wago and one out to the socket is technically a spur, please can you tell me, is that right?
That's an interesting one because, although I've never really thought of it before, I suppose it's technically true (as robinbanks has said, I presume you mean the two ring conductors plus one going to the socket going into a '3-way' Wago)- although I imagine that most people really think of the Wago as being an 'extension of the socket's terminal'.

However, as robinbanks has also said, it doesn't matter, since there is absolutely nothing wrong with a (one) socket being supplied via an 'unfused spur' from a ring.

Kind Regards, John

I was thinking they might be OK because they wouldn't usually pull the skin off a rice pudding :)
They're obviously less violent than 'cordless drills' (and lookalikes) but the couple I've got are (still, at a very old age!) pretty powerful, even though they are only 2.4V - I certainly cannot stop the rotation 'manually'. Perhaps 'worse', at least mine don't have an torque limiter/control, so one's only choice is to get the 'full blast'. One of mine ...

1678800736485.png

Kind Regards, John

That's an interesting one because, although I've never really thought of it before, I suppose it's technically true (as robinbanks has said, I presume you mean the two ring conductors plus one going to the socket going into a '3-way' Wago)- although I imagine that most people really think of the Wago as being an 'extension of the socket's terminal'.

However, as robinbanks has also said, it doesn't matter, since there is absolutely nothing wrong with a (one) socket being supplied via an 'unfused spur' from a ring.

Kind Regards, John
I suppose you could use a 5 way wago and take two cables to the socket...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back