sockets

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't you have found that out before doing it?

Who signed the EIC/MEIWC for design and construction?

Is the circuit RCD protected?

Was it a new circuit?

6" is OK from the POV of getting plugs in without having to bend cables too sharply, but if these are kitchen worktops you'll probably find that they are infuriatingly low.

I have put my sockets 6 inches above worktops (150mm) that ok??
Yes 150mm is fine - though it is the minimum height recommended above the work surface - (source the IEE electricians guide to the building regulations).

Sponsored Links
I've got mine about 450mm above.

So you have horrible flexes hanging around everywhere on show. A lot of appliances now like toasters kettles etc come with very short flexes and I wonder if they would even allow the appliance to sit flat on the work top at that height.

I always fit at 150mm.

So you have horrible flexes hanging around everywhere on show. A lot of appliances now like toasters kettles etc come with very short flexes and I wonder if they would even allow the appliance to sit flat on the work top at that height.
Never known any to be that short.

But I have known plenty of toasters and kettles etc to be more than 150mm tall.

I've got mine about 450mm above.
In my daughter's (very low ceilinged kitchen) that would probably place them at least partially inside the wall units! More generally, I'm with flyingsparks on this one - I personally think that, in any kitchen, 450mm is far too high for convenience (possibly also safety).

Kind Regards, John

I was a bit rough and ready with my measuring - the bottoms of my sockets are 410mm on one side of the kitchen, 430mm on the other,

Yeah that is rough :rolleyes:

Unless of course your sockets are level and the worktops are at different levels :LOL:

Well, it's still rough, but it's a different trade's fault. :cool:

I personally think that, in any kitchen, 450mm is far too high for convenience (possibly also safety).
Fair enough.

I personally think that, in any kitchen, it's good to be able to access the sockets without having to move appliances out of the way. Maybe you're the sort of person with the dedication and cupboard space to put things away when not in use, but in my kitchen, like in many others', things like the kettle are out all the time, and having had more than one of those with a light action switch at the base which is very easily knocked on by accident, I appreciate being able to switch it off at the socket.

Yeah that is rough :rolleyes:

Unless of course your sockets are level and the worktops are at different levels :LOL:
Or unless I've re-done one side of the kitchen and put the sockets where I want them, and not done the other wall yet ;)

I personally think that, in any kitchen, it's good to be able to access the sockets without having to move appliances out of the way.
I agree.
Maybe you're the sort of person with the dedication and cupboard space to put things away when not in use, but in my kitchen, like in many others', things like the kettle are out all the time ...
Same here. Nearly everything is out nearly all the time!

However, perhaps I have a little more wall space than you, because we avoid the problem to which you refer by not positioning things in front of the sockets!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back