sockets

1100mm above FFL to the bottom of the box is standard for kitchen sockets.

A self levelling laser is invaluable for getting them all spot on.

Sponsored Links
1100mm above FFL to the bottom of the box is standard for kitchen sockets.
That sounds about right - at roughly 170mm above typical worktop height, that's roughly what all of us (other than BAS!) were suggesting. It's certainly roughly what mine are.

Kind Regards, John

Typical worktop height is also too low - it would not be allowed in a factory where people had to stand and work.

Typical worktop height is also too low - it would not be allowed in a factory where people had to stand and work.
Goodness. If you're worktops are appreciably higher than 'typical', and your sockets are 410mm-430mm above that, how close the ceiling are they? :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm only 6' tall, and not abnormally proportioned - about 100cm is a comfortable height for me.
Well, yes, but you're male. Dangerous though it is to say such things in 2013, I feel sure that the majority of work at UK kitchen worktops is still undertaken by women, with an average height of about 5' 4.5", and kitchens are therefore not unreasonably designed primarily for them. That average female height is about 19cm shorter than you, so that if 100 cm is a comfortable heoght for you, the 'typical' kitchen worktop height is almost certainly appreciably too high for them - and therefore could, I suppose, be regarded as a compromise between the ideal heights for men and women (OK in 2013 :) ). ...

... if I've got it right, using the formula you quote, a 5' 4.5" (~164 cm)) 'average-height' woman should have a ideal worktop height of about 88.4 cm.

Kind Regards, John

How would you get any units under a 65cm. one?
You won't - but, there again, you won't find many adults in the UK who are 125cm (about 4' 1") tall, either - so there won't be much demand for 65cm worktops :)

As I've just written to BAS, it looks as if the worktop height which has become more-or-less standard appears to be a compromise between the ideals for ('average height', not dwarf!) male and female adults!

Kind Regards, John

I'm not the average UK woman.

Nobody would look at Mrs Sheds and think "Blimey she's tall", but she's taller than the average by enough for the "standard" height to be too low for her too.

And my son is a good 2m tall.

It is much easier for a person of average or below average height to have a plinth to stand on than it is for a person of above average height to dig a trench.

It is much easier for a person of average or below average height to have a plinth to stand on than it is for a person of above average height to dig a trench.
Whilst that is literally true, it is not practical, and no-one other than the exceptionally short are going to consider 'standing on a box' in their kitchen. The only practical solution is to adopt a compromise ...

The average height of UK adults (male+female) is about 171cm. By the formula you posted, that translates to an ideal height of about 92.6 cm - only fractionally (about 11 mm) higher than the 'standard' worktop height.

Kind Regards, John

And that translates to back pain for millions of people.

Taking the 171cm mean, and with σ = 9.1 for the UK, a worktop height of 91.4cm is at least 2cm too low for over 19M people aged over 25 in the UK.

A height of 92.6 is at least 2cm too low for about 15.7M people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back