Soffits and Fascia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our house is an average Semi-detached in Nottinghamshire Mansfield ,we are thinking of having the guttering changed and removed .
There are two houses on our road been charged over £2000 for this all they have had done is the Fascia and Soffits removed and new installed.
We know someone down the road in a average DETACHED who has paid about £1200 for this service .I know for a fact from alot of people that the products to do the jobs generally only costs about £250-£350 .What is a good guideline price in our area for an average semi to have this done .Because i get the feeling paying over £2000 is being ripped off !! ?? .
Also do you have to have the old ripped out and why ??? ,cant you just cap it with the new product and install air vents so the old can breathe .What is the benefit to having the old took off ???.

HMM
What use is a forum that wont stop customers getting ripped off,there isnt enough protection for buyers out there as it is .But to not be able to give some sort of guideline on a price is outrageous .

All im asking is £2000 for an average semi way too much or not !!.A simple yes or no is all thats needed .

Not the see item 9 trick ?? not happy come on stick up for the customers .

Thanks in Advance Alan .

MOD

please see item 9 also please see 10a and 23

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid prices do differ enormous in soffit & fascia game, just keeping getting quotes until you're happy with it. You might find it cheaper with a one man carpenter or someone semi-retired.

Well can anyone answer please what is the advantage to having the old stuff ripped off ,instead of just capping it please then .

p.s my e mail is ********* for anyone who might be able to give me a guideline price or who has had it done in my area thanks if you do get in touch .
Lets not let the cowboys win heh !! .

MOD

14a

Fast_Muchly said:
Well can anyone answer please what is the advantage to having the old stuff ripped off ,instead of just capping it please then .
I don't normally bother taking out old fascia board unless it's rotted or twisted.

I don't know what you're are capable to do but have you thought about doing it yourself to save £££££££?

Sponsored Links
After putting my own on where all substances were sound i wouldnt have said that price was too steep, but to go to a house where some of the wood could be rotten etc etc, what a job that would turn into, apart from which you havent taken into account the contracter has to remove all the old facsia and soffit. So if you want a cheap job done well you know what the say--------pay peanuts get monkies !!!!!!!!

Freddie said:
pay peanuts get monkies !!!!!!!!
Up to a point Freddie, I've seen way over the top quotes. My next door neighbour has one side done fascia, soffit and gutter & paid £1800 for a 12m length! Took them half a day!

Fast_Muchly said:
HMM
What use is a forum that wont stop customers getting ripped off

This is a general diy forum, not a "consumers forum"

Fast_Muchly said:
there isnt enough protection for buyers out there as it is .But to not be able to give some sort of guideline on a price is outrageous
That is why we have 9
As it explains, each job is different, what may be a "rip off" in your part of the world, may be "normal" some where else, London for example

Fast_Muchly said:
not happy come on stick up for the customers .

As i said, this is a DIY forum, not a consumer forum

up untill the mid 80's Masona did you know that the majority of soffit board was asbestos wood,-------have you taken that into account.

At the end of the day if all these people are charging that figure there must be a reason for it.

And Masona you never said how many blokes were doing the job

Freddie said:
At the end of the day if all these people are charging that figure there must be a reason for it.
Yes you're right but like everything else in life, if people are prepare to pay the high price, it's their problem and not the tradesman. The one that anger me is a chap up the road has the fascia & soffit quoted which was very high for a bungalow and I said I can do it 50% cheaper and still make a handsome profit so he rang the company and they said no problem we can do it cheaper than my quote, rip off or what? Another one dead opposite me has 2 bloke doing a bungalow taking 6 days working just 4 hours day and I couldn't believe the amount of tea & fag break they were having on top of all this, they really wanted to hang it out. I have done the exactly same to the bungalow next door in 3 days with 2 of us. I could've save them £2700!
And Masona you never said how many blokes were doing the job
Two, materials from Mr Plastic and I have worked it out that come to £245 and the scaffolding which my neighbour told me was just under £200. That leave labour of £1355 out of £1800 for a total 5hrs each. £135.50 per hour or £677.50 per person for 5 hours!

It's a bit like some of the stories we hear regarding tarmac drive and taking the old girl to the bank.

kevplumb said:
have to ask freddie what's asbestos wood ?
I think the one Freddie mean is the asbestos paper type that goes onto wood for fire protection. Freddie might know more about it.

replacement board, any semi i will do for 800-900 fully in

i have public liability insurance and a full customer base of 100s of houses you can go look at.

usualy time it takes me is 2 days for 2 men.
materials usually costs me 300

seems like your neighbours are paying for salesmen not fitters

Masona and or Kevin 34, would you walk me through one of your replacement jobs?Do you move the scaffolding around the building or do you scaff. the whole structure?
I'm interested in problems of accessibility and what difficulties you encounter in removing and replacing the bottom rows of slate or tile, and what about hip tiles that bear on the fascia?
I take it that on a semi there's some sound method of stop-ending at a neighbours fascia?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back