Soft start dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Having a bit of a problem. I have a customer with 4no. twin arm wall lights with 60W SES golf ball lamps in each lampholder. Every time a lamp fails it's taking the dimmer out too for some reason. It's happened twice in three days now. The last dimmer was a 600W Hamilton dimmer.

Obviously this is not a good situation. I was thinking a soft start dimmer should help reduce or stop this happening in future but I can't find one rated high enough.

It needs to fit a 1 gang 25mm flush box and be in polished chrome or be a standard dimmer module to fit the existing plate.

Does such a thing exist? I've looked for a dimmable LED of the same size and brightness to reduce the load but also drawing a blank on this.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi I would advise the customer to go the led route, I would think after a few replacement dimmers, that won't be difficult !

Regards,

DS

I was thinking a soft start dimmer should help reduce or stop this happening in future ....
Do you have experience of that approach working? I ask because it sounds rather like 'wishful thinking' to me - even the 'slow start' presumably assumes that the load is of a 'reasonable' impedance. If it falls to near-zero as a lamp fails, potentially considerable (perhaps 'damaging') currents are still likely to flow, transiently, aren't they?

Kind Regards, John

I have to say, that I have found the MK 'intelligent ' dimmers are very reliable and are resilient to lamps blowing and short duration overloads and bounce back with no problems. However, I don't think they make a 600W PC finish which is what RF requires.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back