Soldering = Headache?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other day I was doing quite a lot of soldering (with lead based solder :rolleyes:) in my Kitchen (Making up audio cables) and I noticed that I got a headache towards the end of it.

Is this normal? Next time I might think to turn the extractor hood on, as it was near to where I was soldering. (y)

Sponsored Links
Always a good idea to have adequate ventilation when doing anything that creates fumes.

Sure it's lead solder? Unless it is ancient, it's more likely to be lead-free these days.

Lead solder is only toxic if you are intending to eat it.

Flux fumes are often toxic and should not be inhaled.

Sponsored Links
Either fumes from the flux or headache caused by keeping your neck in one position for a long period more likely.

Why are you making audio leads up with plumbing solder?

Since when has 60% Tin/40% Lead solder been for plumbing? Also I doubt plumbers very often use 1mm diameter solder. The solder as linked is sold under "Electricians Tools" at toolstation also.

Most solder has historically has had lead in it up until about 20 years ago due to the lead lowers the melting point of the solder.

I guess my headache was from using excessive flux when coating the wires before tining them.

I've only used solder with flux in/on it for electrical stuff, no need for additional flux.

I've only used solder with flux in/on it for electrical stuff, no need for additional flux.
Ditto. For regular electronics work it's by far easiest just to use rosin-cored 60/40 solder. So long as you make sure everything is clean before starting, the flux within it should be perfectly adequate.

Lead is a poison which damages the brain and nervous system. Unusually among poisons, there is no dose small enough to be considered non-harmful. It accumulates in the body. It is especially harmful to babies and children, as it reduces intelligence permanently, and is also associated with behavioural problems and criminality in later life.

I knew an older plumber who had to retire early with early-onset dementia. He deteriorated very quickly and within two years went from running his own business to being unfit to boil a kettle or find his way home from the end of his road. The hospital diagnosed brain damage from working with lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back