Solid wood worktops with a family? Opinions pls.

cjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, opinions gratefully received.

We'd like to have solid 40mm beech block worktop with our new kitchen diner; we love the look, we're quite prepared to oil it every six months or so.

Trouble is, we have received conflicting advice from friends and potential suppliers... some swear against it, some swear by it... negative opinions include staining, warping, 'popping'(?!) and general maintenance headaches.

We have two small children and the kitchen/diner will get a lot of usage... we'd really like to go for the wood if we can but wonder if we're setting ourselves up for a fall.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Many thanks in advance (especially if you're going to say 'go for it' :LOL: :cool: )!!!!!

Sponsored Links
See this for more details.
I have bought some Tung Oil from here, they said it was okay to use it on worktop. The answer to your other question regarding warping and popping, I can't see how because timber need to breathe and oil is the best treatment for it, if you give the website link a ring they are very helpful.

That is really helpful, thank you very much.. I've read the details on the link and I think I'm convinced!

thanks for your help Masona :cool:

Sponsored Links
I always finish using Junkers rustic oil about 5 coats denibbed between coats with the finest paper you can get. The finish is brilliant and durable and provide you make sure you oil the undersides and the edges too you shouldn't have any problems with warping.
Will give you a gloss finish though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back